Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and many other people have found this MB to be quite picky. If setup right its rock stable and ocs like a dream but if not properly setup it can be a nightmare. With a lot of questions poping up about ocing this board i thought why not right a guide! So here goes.

First off lets start with the bios. For some reason msi hide some of the options that can help u reach a higher over clock, these can be accessed by either entering the cell menu and holding SHIFT+F2 then pressing ALT+F3. This unlocks most of the hiden options in the bios but you have to do this every time you enter the bios. A better solution is flashing to a modified bios. 1.36mod, 1.37mod, and 1.41mod are all good ones, i use 1.41mod, and they can be found here http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html.
1.36b is famous for being a good bios for this board and i just switched to it. the reason i did this was because in the 1.41 bios any vcore over 10.0% over VID would not save for some reason. With this bios you can go all the way up to 18.0% but u must maunally unlock the hidden options.

Once you are in the bios there are some things that you should change immediately under the cell menu.(this is where all of the ocing related setting are)

enter the memory config sub menu and set your ram for its stock timings instead of auto and make sure the command rate is set to 1T for best profomence. This is also a good time to set your mem divider(mem speed). This menu can be confusing but basically a speed of 200 = 1:1 ratio, 166=5:6, 133=3:2, 100=2:1.

back to the cell menu...

NOTE: when changing the HTT freq. DO NOT HIT ENTER use the page up/down or +/- keys to change the htt or the bios will freeze.

the htt muliplier should be set at 4 for htt speed of 201-250 and 3 for htt speed from 250 and up. (you basically wanna keep the totall htt at or under 1000mhz)

The cpu voltage is another confusing matter....

this will default to 1.50v but when u boot or look in the h/w monitor in the bio u will notice that ur actual voltage is at about 1.44. setting the voltage from 1.475-1.55 will give the same result your actual voltage will remain at 1.44. the only way to up the voltage past 1.44 is through the VID which will overvolt the cpu by a given percentage 3.3%-18.0%. this is how u get higher cpu voltage then stock.

Vdim is as is should be set that to your desired level

same with agp voltage tho i dont recommend changing this.

Agp bus = 67 for lock

aggressive timings should be disabled

cool and quiet should be disabled

dynamic ocing disabled

Hidden bios options:

nv/ati speed up disabled

dram strength (experiment every ram mb combo is diff.) mines set to normal

pci auto detect enable(this locks the pci bus)

advanced chipset features:

fast writes disabled

sideband addressing(hidden) change this if ur having video problems or getting artifacts. disabling this can improve your oc.

power management:

acpi(hidden) turning this of has help some people oc higher though i havent touched it. (this onption is only accessable with the moded bioses)

Hardware config notes:

use only sata ports 3 & 4 (above the agp slot) because they have speed locks

ide is not effected by this as it locks with the pci bus.

Put memory in slots 1(green) and 2 (purple) the two closest to the cpu for dual channel and best stability. If using an ocz booster put it in slot 4(furthest from the cpu)

when using only 1 dim put it in the first slot(green) closest to the cpu. When running only 1 mem module never put it in a purple slot.

This board likes TCCD memory as well as crucial ballistix. BH-5 is hit or miss for some reason.(seems to work better with bios 1.36b or newer) Ocz vx also works well but i favor using looser timings and taking advantage of the high htt this board can reach. My person suggestion would be g.skill le, or la 4400 or the new 4800 g.skill ram coming out.

The active cooling on the NB should be removed and good thermal paste applied. You will see why when u take it off....msi puts a small drop of compound on there that isnt even ¼ the size of the chip.(some people have experienced better oc's after doing this)

software:

dont trust any temp readings from this board.

If you load core center in widows:

dont use it to oc.

Dont leave it open it can make ur sys unstable

dont trust the temp readings it gives u

the best temp readings i got which werent that great were through MBM5 w/ the cpu sensor set to winbound 2 diode.

With this board setup correctly you should expect to get at least 250mhz htt out of it. I run it everyday rock stable at 260 1:1 but i have pushed the board much higher until all of my other components failed. So i dont know how high it can actually go. Ive had it up to 293 1:1 with only a single ram stick stable but at 294 my ram craps out so over 300mhz is quite possible.

I hope if covered everything, my first guide so bare with me, if you know of anymore tips or tricks that i missed post them here and ill add them. Hope
this helps some people!

EDIT: all newly added info is in bold

• Rep+
Reactions: MSI_andy

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sry i forgot to mention u have to be in the cell menu. go into the cell menu and hold shift+f2 and while holding hit alt+f3

• Rep+
Reactions: die fast

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for the rep! report back if u get a better overclock!

• Rep+
Reactions: blank MAN

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just updated a few things! has ne one been able to oc any higher by changing the these settings?

• Rep+
Reactions: blank MAN

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for all the great info Polygon. You guide is the best on this board. Complete.

·
Registered
391 Posts
temps are a frickin' joke with any of the bios I have used. Stock cooler gave me 40c while a dd tdx gives only 38c idle..hahaha what a joke.

This is by far the best ocing board for the a64 s939 right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have to agree, after using this bios for a couple days i still get the same wacked out temps. no matter what it always seems to idle at like 39-40, with all the great ocing and features on this board they could have put a good temp sensor on it.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts