Overclock.net banner

Guide to Unlock pipes on a 6800NU

7881 Views 16 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  mk_ln
Hi all I made a guid for unlocking the pipes on NON-ULTRA 6800 guides.

The benifit to this is simple,A 175.00 or less card that keeps pace with the GT for no additional cost ! !

Ok for any 6800 owners and possibly others with nVidaia cards her is a step by step guid to unlock your pipes and shaders Using RivaTuner 15.3 NY.

THIS IS A SOFT MOD NOT A BIOS FLASH OR HARDWARE MOD

Down Load it from here
OTHERVERSIONS Should work as well)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Install it and open it up and on the main menue select Target Adapter and click on the right side of where it says custom. "see pic in link"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/Step1.jpg

Click on the first image of the video card and another window opens that has a tab for AGP and NVStrap Driver.

Select the NVStrap driver tab and at the bottom it will say determined by VGA Bios Expand that box like i did in pic see link.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/Step2.jpg

Set it to custom and it should now show you how many pipes and shaders are in use a 6800 128meg card should have 12 and 5.Now that you selected custom check the boxes to the left that say Allow enabling of hardware masked units and unlock professional capabilities.

(Note my card had 12 pipes and 5 shaders yours may not)

Ok now after you checked those 2 boxes click on the Custom tab that is now enabled as a result of these last changes and you will get this screen.(See link for pic)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/Step3.jpg

Ok now to do a little unlocking

You will see right away on the far right HW masked this refers to hardware masked and it is your locked pipes we intend to now set free.Click on the collum that has the yes associated witrh it and it will highlite the hex Numbers at the top see pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/Step3.jpg

Ok a closed pipe or shader is represented by a ZERO we need to change it to a 1,So having already highlited the locked pipe all we need to do is push the number 1 key on the key board Make sure numlocks is on if ya use the numbers on the right side of the key board he he he.

Ok now look and it will now say enabled ,DO the same thing for all hardware masked items and you will have enabled them..You may want to enable one at a time and test the card.

Stock 3D 03 score for this card I got 9223 and
Overclocked with out any pipes and shaderes open 10837
Stock core and Ram with Pipes and shaders unlocked 10637
Over clocked core and ram 16/6 open 11427 (Edit)

Of course any mod can affect hardware adversly.I and many have used this guide with great success,but that does not mean you will . .
  • Rep+
Reactions: Siders77
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,597 Posts
Does anyone know if this method will work for a 6800GS. I have heard that pipes wont unlock for a 6800PCI-E card let alone a GS version, Has anyone been successful with 6800PCI-E unlocking??

· Registered
2,597 Posts
This def does not work with a 6800GS PCI-E, Iguess it doesnt matter anyway I still can get 85,000 on AQ3, isnt this like a 6800GT scores?

· Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el7145

Does anyone know if this method will work for a 6800GS. I have heard that pipes wont unlock for a 6800PCI-E card let alone a GS version, Has anyone been successful with 6800PCI-E unlocking??

You cannot unlock any extra pixel pipelines on the 6800GS. The silicon is built around 12 pipelines to save die area. What you see is what you get.

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el7145

You can only unlock AGP based cards, even the 6800NU(vanilla) in the PCI-E does not unlock. This is the only thing old school AGP motherboard users have going for us

· Premium Member
11,222 Posts
as far as AGP cards go...
I have noted that Vanilla 6800 card made by FXF seem to be more likely to be unlocked. I know of six people personally, my self included, who have unlocked a FXF 6800 to 16/6 with Riva Tuner. If you look through the reviews on newegg you see the same trend. Looks like mose people who bought one made by them were able to do it.

I also think it seems to OC better...why that is I don't know. Different materials in the card? I have heard of eVGA cards that could not even go 15 over their stock clock and would get artifacts if the pipelines were unlocked.

I haven't even tried to seriously OC my 6800 yet. I just picked 380/800 out of the blue and it worked with no problems what so ever. Some thing I don't normally do, but I just put this system together last weekend. But if it still works...it should be able to give more.

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Siders77

Thanks for the guide. Just did my card.

A quick question though. Do I unlock the ones with the red ring around them?

When I did the first one it came up with a message....

Ta.

Just the ones with the "yes" in the HW masked column

· Premium Member
3,124 Posts
Quote:

Hummm, I just did those, restarted then loaded up FarCry and it's all wierd. The picture flickers and stuff.

Okay, it looks like some are dodgy. Go back and change one at a time until you find the offender.

· Registered
26 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste

Okay, it looks like some are dodgy. Go back and change one at a time until you find the offender.

Yep I did that. Started from the top one and restarted each time then ran FarCry when I booted back up. They all seem to be okay now.
Now all of them are enabled. Thanks

· Registered
28 Posts
Quote:

Yep I did that. Started from the top one and restarted each time then ran FarCry when I booted back up. They all seem to be okay now.
Now all of them are enabled. Thanks

sorry, but im kind of confused. tell me if im understanding u properly.
1 - u unlocked all the pipes and shaders
2 - it didnt work w/o artifacts
3 - so u rebooted every time u changed one setting? (i.e. u had all unlocked and would then lock one, then rebooted and if it still had artifacts u would lock the next one and unlock the previous locked one?)

i kno this is a pretty old thread, but thanks in advance to any1 who can answer this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.