Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
-way, 3-way, heck even 4-way GPU performance compared using Intel's fastest processor on the globe.

Note: if you haven't done so, please read up on Core i7 processors in our launch article first, you can click here to do so.

Wooooh, momma momma momma... do we have an article for you today. If you are into threesomes... maybe even foursomes, well you are in luck my man. See, there is just so much more to the Core i7 release and X58 mainboard series than we showed in the previous Core i7 article you just read (you did do that right?). See, a golden rule in hardware land is this: one of the biggest advantages of having everything right is that in certain situations, you can get a pretty darn nice gaming experience... if you have enough cash to spend of course.

Of course I'm talking about Multi-GPU gaming, hard-core enthusiast l33t unadulterated gaming with frame rates flying so fast that in a race simulator you would actually imagine yourself to be in the race-car.

As our previous article has shown, today's processors like Intel's Core 2 and AMD's Phenom X series are really fast enough for your single-GPU based graphics card. The same rule applies to SLI or Crossfire gaming, unless you go really extreme the CPU does not make that big a difference.

But once you get to play around with so much RAW CPU computing performance, there is a situation or two where you as a gamer might see some benefits. And that's extremely high-end Multi-GPU gaming.

This article will cover such Multi-GPU gaming, both ATI CrossfireX and NVIDIA SLI. We are not talking two GeForce 9600 GT's in SLI or a set of Radeon HD 4850 cards in Crossfire, no sir... we start in the high-end performance segment. Some examples of the cards we'll put in Crossfire or SLI are:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i...mance-review/1

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
20fps gain on many tests, at most resolutions, merely by changing the mobo and processor?? That is absolutely nuts, especially when you consider the work some people here go through to get an extra couple fps out of their games by OCing their chips and cards. I might be getting a new computer sooner than I thought, although I'll still be waiting for the drivers, chips, and mobos to mature and come down in price.

·
PC Evangelist
47,372 Posts
Why E8400? Why not QX9770?

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
The only one that really stresses the GPUs is the extreme preset. 2x 4870X2 CFX scores X13000 on the extreme preset; GTX280 3-way SLI scores X14000, and it is a much better GPU test than the P test!!!!

·
Nobody
6,466 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

The only one that really stresses the GPUs is the extreme preset. 2x 4870X2 CFX scores X13000 on the extreme preset; GTX280 3-way SLI scores X14000, and it is a much better GPU test than the P test!!!!

Well, I don't think 24" monitors are the norm yet anyways, so moot point.

I have to say, if you've got the funds then Nehalem does mighty nice on a 3xGTX280 setup.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
holy

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Repost.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7racer View Post

I have to say, if you've got the funds then Nehalem does mighty nice on a 3xGTX280 setup.
thats what ill be getting

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Wow this review is great...I always like Guru3d. The difference between X48 and X58 CF is pretty huge....

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by default501x View Post

x2....man i wonder what they do after benching those beasties. Freebies pl0x

·
Registered
431 Posts
i KNEW my GX2 still had potential! look how well it stacks up with the current kings of the hill:

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
What I don't quite understand is what the editors do with the hardware after they review and benchmark it. Do they send it back or keep it for themselves ?.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 45nm View Post
What I don't quite understand is what the editors do with the hardware after they review and benchmark it. Do they send it back or keep it for themselves ?.
well at nvision k|ngp|n gave away a few of the extra processors when he was done OCing them. and i heard on occasion they give away or sell at extremely discounted prices the motherboards and ram etc

·
Braindead
1,351 Posts
It would seem everything I wanted i7 to be has come true. Yet I doubted it due to pessimistic pressure around me. I CRUMBLED! Core i7, I NEED YOU!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts