Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 528 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
EVGA today is launching a new build of PrecisionX, this will be build 15. EVGA has made a move to developing the tweaking utility in-house, meaning they will cut ties with the previous developing programmer. By itself interesting news, but unfortunately this has to be the most awkward story I have ever written in the history of Guru3D.com Did EVGA copy the entire Rivatuner design and features concept from the original programmer ?
Source
Quote:
Update 2: here is a reaction from Unwinder, the programmer

Well, new EVGA Precision X is released so I was finally able to peek inside it and quickly review the contents of "100% in-house" development.

Everything is even worse than I expected.

Original EVGA Precision EXE resources and dialog templates were copy-pasted to this "in-house" project as is, even original dialog control IDs are the same. Company PRs already claim that GUI is 100% designed by EVGA which is sadly not true, company designed concept art of EVGA Precision skin only. All product properties, entire monitoring section, setting and so on came from directly original RivaTuner (and were available in other RivaTuner based products like HIS iTurbo years before Precision was born) and EVGA has no relation to designing them at all. So company directly violated our license agreement terms and reverse engineered licensed binaries to copy data from it and represent it as their own design.
EVGA completely cloned original RivaTuner's RTMUI multilanguage context help system and localization engine. Contents of "Help" and "Localization" folders were copy-pasted to new product as is from original Precision, including localization and GUI translation databases for different languages. "Help" folder contains direct mapping of dialog IDs to help files, I guess getting easy access to it as direct reason of "copying" original dialog templates with original dialog IDs. So the company also violated our license agreement terms and redistributed parts of original product without permission.
Even "in-house" skin still uses my original raster fonts from old good RivaTuner. But at least that can be partially justified. Out intellectual property ownership terms of agreement define that I own software product copyrights, the company exclusively owns the product distribution rights as well as non-software intellectual properties like trademarks, product name, logos and artwork I create for them during the contract. So you may try to fit "copied" fonts in this category if you close eyes on the fact that it came from original RT.
Fun thing, even for the installer of "in-house" product the company copy-pasted my own license agreement from original installer, which contains my own third party components licensing terms and direct restriction on reverse engineering or redistributing them. Probably you'll at least read what exactly do you copy paste, EVGA?
The most sad and painful thing for me is that the company entirely copy-pasted RivaTuner's unique concepts of displaying data into On-Screen Display. RvaTuner Statistics Server was the first tool in the industry that introduced the concept of in-game hardware monitoring via OSD back in 2005, I spent almost than 10 years on polishing it. And most sad thing for me is that original Precision was not supposed to include such functionality, so it is not included in development budget and royalty fees. I added RTSS to Precision in one of the first versions completely free of any licensing fees just to help the company to promote new tool and it truly became one of the most important application features. So it was used during more than 5 years completely free (and the company was never brave to admit that) and in final they originally "thanked" for free OSD usage by stealing it. EVGA's brand new "in-house" OSD is also open a simple rip of open source FW1FontWrapper overlay. And If I were the developer of FW1FontWrapper, I'd read the story of RTSS and think 1000 times about it.
Quote:
Update 1: here is a reaction from EVGA as posted in the Steam forums:

"That is only one side of the story, firstly no code was copied. In fact, EVGA does not even have the source code from the original Precision. Secondly, PrecisionX 15 is new code built from the ground up. The GUI looks similar, well it should since the original GUI was 100% designed by EVGA, many other elements were too like voltage control, Bluetooth and more. The menus and such look similar too because, well why change them? They work well and people are familar with how they look.

Lastly, the original Precision was always a joint effort anyways, some elements were designed by EVGA others were licensed like the RTSS server, and many features were added because EVGA requested it. In this new version we rebuilt all back end code from scratch. This will allow us to continue to add more features in the future, and not be bound by any "exclusivities".

• Rep+
Reactions: Grmadness

·
Registered
323 Posts
Unwinder confirmed they stole it. Here is a quote from unwinder
Quote:
Fun thing, even for the installer of "in-house" product the company copy-pasted my own license agreement from original installer, which contains my own third party components licensing terms and direct restriction on reverse engineering or redistributing them. Probably you'll at least read what exactly do you copy paste, EVGA?]

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
wow, that's amazing....I appreciate and respect Unwinder's work and I personally use afterburner.

Not sure if he has legal recourse or not but hopefully justice is served.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quote:
EVGA stopped royalty payments in December 2013 for Unwinder. Unwinder was not informed about all this, they just never contacted him again, not even the courtesy of an email was send to him that project development would be halted or that his agreement with EVGA would be suspended
Quote:
Fun thing, even for the installer of "in-house" product the company copy-pasted my own license agreement from original installer, which contains my own third party components licensing terms and direct restriction on reverse engineering or redistributing them. Probably you'll at least read what exactly do you copy paste, EVGA?
Ouch. I was going to say hold off on throwing them under the bus but there's certainly some poor decisions going on if this is all true.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
wow EVGA shame on you
You better apologize in public

·
Registered
834 Posts
well this sucks.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
4,074 Posts
Wow Evga... just WOW.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantmagnet View Post

Love the response. Either EVGA higher ups are lying or the guy they hired to make their own version of Rivatuner just copy and pasted without telling them. I wonder if there will be a sacrificial wolf.
of course there will be a lamb to fire within the team that developed build 15 of precisionX. someone or multiple people had to approve and look over everything before releasing it.

1 - 20 of 528 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.