Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AMD is pretty focused not to have anything Threadripper leaked, and we all know how that always works out; Specs, prices and everything is sitting on the street already. Tomorrow btw, we'll have an unboxing and a bit of a preview to offer you guys. Anyhow, It surely doesn't help that AMD had a full listing of Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX Cinebench score online.

I am currently not sure if AMD pulled the page already, but our forum regular HWGeek ran into an official AMD France page. Which listed quite a bit, including a Cinebench score of 5099 for Threadripper 2990WX. The scores were readable in the footnotes of their webpage:

• Intel i9 7980XE score: 3,335
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX score: 5,099

Source.

The original page seems to have been pulled so all that is left is the cached version. The other piece of news is that official unboxings and previews start tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
9,193 Posts
The other piece of news is that official unboxings and previews start tomorrow.
Wow, an unboxing! That's just great content. I really like seeing the cardboard that the $2000 piece of silicon comes in. As a customer and user I want to know what the box looks like first and see numerical performance metrics second. I'm so glad marketing teams have learned the most non-cynical method to keep the hype train fueled so people buy their products. :thumb:

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand your cynicism, but we've seen the box already on other sources, so the interesting part is where it says that in addition to the unboxing there will be a "preview". Now, if that amounts to much or not, we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
9,193 Posts
I understand your cynicism, but we've seen the box already on other sources, so the interesting part is where it says that in addition to the unboxing there will be a "preview". Now, if that amounts to much or not, we'll see.
"Preview" doesn't mean "review." Leaked unboxings from other sources, like people who found one at Microcenter a week early, are actually helpful. It's hard to say an unboxing is useful content when review samples frequently include trinkets that the end user simply cannot buy and will not receive; the original Threadripper is a good example, which was shipped in a light-up hardcase containing two CPUs and the custom broken CPU with the reviewer's name on the IHS. If it were a matter of people being able to say "yup look we got the box!" that's one thing, but custom packaging that emphasizes the presentation is entirely intended to drive hype. There is no reason for AMD and others to not do this. Betcha any previews will be limited to a whitelist of benchmarks AMD is good in and/or Intel is bad in if numbers are even allowed.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Preview" doesn't mean "review." Leaked unboxings from other sources, like people who found one at Microcenter a week early, are actually helpful. It's hard to say an unboxing is useful content when review samples frequently include trinkets that the end user simply cannot buy and will not receive; the original Threadripper is a good example, which was shipped in a light-up hardcase containing two CPUs and the custom broken CPU with the reviewer's name on the IHS. If it were a matter of people being able to say "yup look we got the box!" that's one thing, but custom packaging that emphasizes the presentation is entirely intended to drive hype. There is no reason for AMD and others to not do this. Betcha any previews will be limited to a whitelist of benchmarks AMD is good in and/or Intel is bad in if numbers are even allowed.

I agree, unboxings as an event on their own before the actual reviews is just a sign of the ridiculous futile times where the actual useful substance that should drive the purchase decision is absent.

Previews on the other hand may have some substance. "May" being the word. They probably didn't learn their lesson from last year, but one can hope. There are some days where I'm not fully cynical. Must be the warm weather and being a weekend and all.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,297 Posts
Wow, an unboxing! That's just great content. I really like seeing the cardboard that the $2000 piece of silicon comes in. As a customer and user I want to know what the box looks like first and see numerical performance metrics second. I'm so glad marketing teams have learned the most non-cynical method to keep the hype train fueled so people buy their products. :thumb:

Pfft, you're one to talk about being non-cynical. :p

·
*cough*Stock*cough*
3,103 Posts
I wonder how the 2990WX's score scales with memory speeds.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Whatever happens I think we can all assume that this CPU is going to be an absolute beast. Totally massive overkill for 99.9% of people for sure, but bragging rights alone could be a nice boon for AMD's marketing dept. I personally can't wait for the top consumer grade Zen 2 chips coming out next year! If they manage to get clock speeds into the upper-4GHz range (along with an expected IPC increase) Intel could very easily find itself looking up at AMD in the mainstream CPU market...

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Whatever happens I think we can all assume that this CPU is going to be an absolute beast. Totally massive overkill for 99.9% of people for sure, but bragging rights alone could be a nice boon for AMD's marketing dept. I personally can't wait for the top consumer grade Zen 2 chips coming out next year! If they manage to get clock speeds into the upper-4GHz range (along with an expected IPC increase) Intel could very easily find itself looking up at AMD in the mainstream CPU market...
Yeah it's pretty interesting, I'm keen to build an amd system, haven't done one for a while. A threadripper system sounds tasty. I'm sure I could find *some* use for all the cores, even if I have to take up a new hobby haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts