Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Low memory a "crippling factor" for Crysis 2 on consoles, would like to see "a minimum of 8GB" for the next-gen.
Quote:
"My finger-pointing at Microsoft/Sony would really be on the memory side," said Crytek's principal graphics engineer Tiago Sousa while discussing with Eurogamer the problems the team encountered when developing Crysis 2 for console.
Quote:
Current generation consoles, of course, have significantly less.
Xbox 360 only has 512MB of DDR3 RAM, and while PlayStation 3 has the same, only 256MB is allocated towards video memory. The remaining is put towards system resources.

To put that into perspective, the PC version of Crysis 2 requires at least 2GB of RAM, and 3GB if you're running it on Windows Vista.
Source

Yeah I've some hope that in future, MSFT and SONY will response to CRYTEK.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
PS3 uses XDR RAM not DDR3 :l

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Can someone enlighten me? Why does it also say "and X amount of more memory if you're running Windows Vista"? I've always wondered what's the difference that causes you to need more RAM?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Perhaps 2-4GB; 8GB is ridiculous

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;13158569
If they wan't consoles to last 5+ years, 8gb wouldn't be a bad idea

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen;13158553
Can someone enlighten me? Why does it also say "and X amount of more memory if you're running Windows Vista"? I've always wondered what's the difference that causes you to need more RAM?
The OS doesn't magically disappear from memory when u start a game, the extra ram is what the OS uses.

·
Gaming enthusiast
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771;13158569
will that hold tru 5 years from now?? what was enough 5 years ago?

imo this is great the studios are starting to talk a lil about the weakness of consoles its laughable they only used this amount of memory this gen if this would happen pc gaming would get alot less ridiculous ports, they need to admit they failed this gen and bring the next one on with realistic hardware i mean sony bragged so much about the cell processor but to give it 256mb usable mem is just well there isnt a word dumb enough

·
Registered
227 Posts
Most modern gaming pc or lappy have at least 4GB ram. just wondering what they want to do with larger memory..

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath.ro;13158586
The OS doesn't magically disappear from memory when u start a game, the extra ram is what the OS uses.
Apparently you didn't read my post... I asked why Vista uses more RAM than any other OS.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
considering that sony and microsoft will probably want the next gen to last even longer than the current gen, I'd say that over 4gb would be reasonable. Even if the consoles don't use as much memory for OS operations and other stuff like PCs.

I'm still betting on that sony and microsoft would really like to have a APU of some sort in their next consoles. If we'll see new consoles in about 2 years then the tech should be advanced enough that AMD for example can cram a decent amount of SPs and also some CPU power into a single die. Manufacturing cost wise that would be the best case scenario for sony and ms.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Consider that when the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 came out, both of which have 512MB total in most cases, what was it like 1GB and 2GB was the standard?

When the Xbox came out, which has 64MB RAM I think, wasn't ~256MB around a standard?

It seems to be ~half of what PCs typically have that the consoles get, and consoles have like quadrupled their amount each time they come out every five years or so. These are rough rules, but I'd wager ~2GB would be what the consoles would have if made today, actually maybe 4GB since they're going to come out after five years and if they're supposed to last longer.

Just random rough guesses.

Also, consoles don't need as much as PCs to pull off similarly good enough results, due to less overhead, different architecture, and since developers optimize better on the consoles. Could Crytek be complaining so they can be more lazy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen;13158625
Apparently you didn't read my post... I asked why Vista uses more RAM than any other OS.
That requirement format still refers to Windows XP as the base, so since Windows Vista (and later) use more memory than Windows XP, you'd need your PC to have more memory than if you had Windows XP to have enough.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath.ro;13158628
They plan ahead for it to last until the next generation after that is released
by time they implement 8gb ram console,pc already had 32gb ram machine..
as same as directX 11...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen;13158625
I did, but the way u worded it made me think you didn't know how much ram Vista uses compared to other OS'es and how badly it is at handling it. I guess in you mind the aero UI and the gadgets and all the underlaying code should only need as much ram as older operating systems

Minimum memory requirements
Windows XP: 128 Mb
Windows Vista: 1GB
Windows 7: 1GB

·
Registered
879 Posts
Or you could make a pc game? It must be like Sophie's choice for Crytek.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts