Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
We have to just sit here with our heads in our hands and wonder why AMD is seemingly trying its best to piss off its customers that spend the most on its retail products; the CrossFireX gamer. We have seen more than a few AMD video card owners openly express that AMD's lacking driver support is pushing them to not consider an AMD GPU for their next buy. And honestly, it is hard to hold that decision against them.

Remember the days of monthly Catalyst Driver releases? Remember the days of Terry Makedon, the "CatalystMaker" pushing those out? That all seemingly ended when Terry moved to CPU marketing and AMD seems to think that all of those efforts are no longer important. Let's sit back and see if AMD squanders what could likely be it best GPU ever.

As we are getting ready to publish this, AMD's PR company has sent us a new CFX driver, but it is still full of bugs. We have been told though that RC11 is coming later this week, and "that is planned to be released publicly as well." No date was given. If you put down big cash on HD Radeon 7970 CrossFireX you are not being ignored, but you surely are not being attended to either.
-
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/17/amd_crossfirex_drivers_opportunity_lost/

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
You mean launch drivers suck? NO WAI! That never happens!

• Rep+
Reactions: Dhalmel

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
AMD's drivers team needs to get their it together.
CF support is way too wonky despite the performance numbers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeh it does suck, I agree.

Some of my games have negative scaling. In fact my crossfire 6950's perform worse in Skyrim than my mates 768mb GTX 460.

Also in Saints Row, with CrossfireX enabled I get an average fps in the 30's, no matter what settings I'm on. I ended up trying the first mission and had frame rates drop below 10 fps, during the helicopter fight.
blinksmiley.gif

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Multi gpu drivers are always last out of the gate. Always have been. I am not sure how this was surprising to anyone.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomepatrol View Post

Multi gpu drivers are always last out of the gate. Always have been. I am not sure how this was surprising to anyone.
It's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawFoodPhil View Post

-
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/17/amd_crossfirex_drivers_opportunity_lost/
This is the reason why I sent my 7970's back to Tigerdirect.....Yes, they DO take returns, you just have to be very persistent about it
thumb.gif

AMD get your act together!
mad.gif
So much potential ruined by lackluster support.
Edit: I suck at posting links...
Well, maybe it was, lol. How do you drop over 1k on gfx cards and then return them barely a week after release because drivers aren't performing? This is AMD we're talking about here. Surely you didn't expect flawless drivers out of the gate? Not implying that the consumer doesn't deserve that, but really, what did you expect?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If a product requires both hardware and software to work properly, and one or the other isn't working properly, doesn't that make it a broken product? I'm getting sick and tired of both sides having issues. A few issues and bugs are fine, but pushing the hardware b4 the software is even close to where it should be is an appalling trend in this industry now.

I dunno, I like things to work the way they are designed to work when I buy them, not many months later. But the industry shows no sign of changing this ugly trend so I have to 1) Suck it up; or 2) wait and buy later. Well since its up to me what I buy, I choose option 2. I just feel bad for those that pretty much NEED high end everything to run their gear to the level they want it... Early adopters always get the short end of the stick... Well aside from having kickass hardware first that is
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
The Skyrim crossfire driver issue was awful. 6xxx users had to wait weeks, 58xx users had to wait even longer. Heck, I don't even know if they fixed it for other generations.

If you want a multi card setup, go with SLI (coming from a CrossfireX user), but it has it's own problems too. Personally, I'll be buying single cards in the future.

·
Registered
932 Posts
And nVidia cards never have problems with SLI on launch?

No, that would be preposterous, their logo is green after all.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
If I am going to use multiple cards for gaming, it will be SLI.

4850CF, 4870CF, 5850CF, 6870CF setups have taught me a lot about patience for drivers. I enjoyed great gaming with each but not without a battle!

GTX 260 216 SLI, GTX 460 1GB SLI, GTX 570 SLI, Was a much more pleasant experience!

Single cards, I give the best gaming award to AMD!

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Geez...you guys just crushed my belief that SLI/Xfire problems weren't that big of a deal anymore. Maybe one day...

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroneng View Post

If I am going to use multiple cards for gaming, it will be SLI.
4850CF, 4870CF, 5850CF, 6870CF setups have taught me a lot about patience for drivers. I enjoyed great gaming with each but not without a battle!
GTX 260 216 SLI, GTX 460 1GB SLI, GTX 570 SLI, Was a much more pleasant experience!
Single cards, I give the best gaming award to AMD!
Solid advice.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Shrug. He makes it sound like crossfire doesn't work on the 7970 which isn't the case. It works with the AMD 1/9 web driver. The only game out of all games tested without proper GPU scaling is Batman: AC.

I really don't know what Kyle's issue is, I think the article is misleading. AMD should be faster on day 1 xfire support for new games. Thats true. But crossfire does work and every game i've tested except 1, with all working games utilizing both GPU's at 90%+.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts