Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AMD Second Quarter Financial Results Show Highest Quarterly Income in Seven Years

This was driven by the Embedded and Semi-Custom business in addition to the Computing and Graphics and Enterprise. Operating income was $153 million compared to an operating loss of $1 million a year ago based on GAAP. Net income rose to $116 million compared to the loss of $42 million a year ago and continues the rising trend of $81 million from the previous quarter. The Computing and Graphics segment was driven by the sales of Ryzen and Radeon products. The decline of the blockchain market led to 3% quarter-over-quarter lower revenue from the sale of GPUs to that market.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMD/analysis?p=AMD

Only 3% sales loss after the crypto bust. People were saying no one was buying AMD for gaming anymore.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
AMD gonna fail within 2089!!!!!

Mark it!!!!!

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Cool, can't wait to see what they do next year. Good for them.

·
What should be here ?
5,746 Posts
Good for them.
I hope their success will wake up nvidia and intel from the long slumber.
Nvidia is pretty woke. Intel on the other hand isn't.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Will be a few year imo before AMD able to compete at ultra high end, will be matching Nvidia's 2nd best card at best for a few gens imo.

But with the revenue from cpu division hopefully they can get some cash for gpu rnd.

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
I don't know.
Beside the new tensor cores, nvidia hadn't brought something that new to the table beside being able to brute force through anything with strong GPUs.
At some point that tactics is going to run out I think.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nvidia has brought a single gpu solution for 4k60. Something that AMD is still a generation behind on.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Nvidia has brought a single gpu solution for 4k60. Something that AMD is still a generation behind on.

Pardon my ignorance, but what NV GPU can run 4k60 comfortably and do you have any credible benches to prove that? 4K60 isn't mainstream. 1080p still is with 1440p come up quickly. GPU's that perform in those areas are the money makers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 1080Ti easily handles several games at 4k60 on high and ultra

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
I don't know.
Beside the new tensor cores, nvidia hadn't brought something that new to the table beside being able to brute force through anything with strong GPUs.
I agree with this. Die shrinks are going to get harder, meaning TDP and die size will have to rise to maintain brute force.
On the other hand, i feel AMD are almost too far ahead with technology, and not enough brute force.
There is a balance in there :p

·
2,327 Posts
I agree with this. Die shrinks are going to get harder, meaning TDP and die size will have to rise to maintain brute force.
On the other hand, i feel AMD are almost too far ahead with technology, and not enough brute force.
There is a balance in there :p
They are still stuck on inefficient GCN until 2020 at least. PS5 with Navi will probably be around 1080 level which is decent but not ground-breaking, [email protected] machine at best. There was a lot of talk about going multi-chip but now they don't seem too optimistic about it, Nvidia might actually beat them to it.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what NV GPU can run 4k60 comfortably and do you have any credible benches to prove that? 4K60 isn't mainstream. 1080p still is with 1440p come up quickly. GPU's that perform in those areas are the money makers.

My titan X pascal plays 4k 60+ fps in many titles at high settings. Or in very optimized titles like Destiny I can run 120fps minimums in 4k. It is easily doable.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,799 Posts
I don't know.
Tensor cores are a large step in AI performance. I doubt having the tactic of having a faster and more efficient GPU will run out anytime soon. It ran out for Intel because the performance gap wasn't large anymore. Intel sees that and that's why they are getting into the GPU market. Also why would nVidia release anything new when AMD is only creating semi-custom designs. Vega is an architecture designed for Apple. Their next desktop GPU will be based of Sony's custom design Navi.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...-amds-graphics-identity-problem/#32a4c3c132e2

·
PC Evangelist
46,984 Posts
They are still stuck on inefficient GCN until 2020 at least. PS5 with Navi will probably be around 1080 level which is decent but not ground-breaking, [email protected] machine at best. There was a lot of talk about going multi-chip but now they don't seem too optimistic about it, Nvidia might actually beat them to it.
I think because 7nm can still allow them to make smaller GPUs. They probably want to master one die fist and then go to multi die approach. Vega64 is 1080 level. I would say Navi will be faster than that. With 7nm even with less CU and much smaller die if they get clock speed over 2GHz they will beat Vega64. Look at something like RX 580 vs 290X.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I think because 7nm can still allow them to make smaller GPUs. They probably want to master one die fist and then go to multi die approach. Vega64 is 1080 level. I would say Navi will be faster than that. With 7nm even with less CU and much smaller die if they get clock speed over 2GHz they will beat Vega64. Look at something like RX 580 vs 290X.
Tbh I think AMD should stick to the strategy of making a high margin mainstream GPU, that's where the money is at anyway. If they can get 1080/Vega64 performance at a 200$-250$ price point, that's a winner in anybody's books.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Will be a few year imo before AMD able to compete at ultra high end, will be matching Nvidia's 2nd best card at best for a few gens imo.

But with the revenue from cpu division hopefully they can get some cash for gpu rnd.
Does a GPU have to be the best and cost nearly $1K to be worth buying?

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Tbh I think AMD should stick to the strategy of making a high margin mainstream GPU, that's where the money is at anyway. If they can get 1080/Vega64 performance at a 200$-250$ price point, that's a winner in anybody's books.

That still wont be for a couple generations.At best you should hope for Vega64 performance from the $350~ product segment

1 - 20 of 42 Posts