Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Thanks for looking.

This is my first little mod. New upgrades include H100, GA-990FX-UD3, 2xScythe Slipstreams 120mm & other minor brackets, cable tidies etc.

Since this only took around half a day this is less a work log more a snapshot of the build up to the completed mod.

The 240mm rad that comes with the cooler fits snugly underneath the 5.25" mounting bays (once you've demolished and stripped out the 3.5" mounting panels). I also decided to cut out some cheeky little cable management holes whilst I was there since the A300 is a little bit scarce when it comes to cable management.

Anyway, on with some pics...

Firstly I emptied the case and popped all the rivets on the 3.5" panels with a knife and a pair of pliers and the panels easily slip out.
dsc03265w.jpg

Then I cut some holes using a multi-tool.
dsc03269uy.jpg

dsc03270g.jpg

I mounted both my HDD & SDD in the 5.25" using bracket converters.
dsc03271ae.jpg

dsc03272qy.jpg

Ohhh boyyyy....
dsc03273o.jpg

Bench test...
dsc03276lk.jpg

Up and running...
dsc03279q.jpg

I do have more pictures showing more details but just didnt have time to upload them all!

It's back in it's cupboard now and running cool as a cucumber.

Idling around 17C on my x2 555. And i've even managed to unlock the cpu back to a x4 B55. I haven't had time to run benches or test for stability on the unlocked cores though yet. Will get round to that this weekend.

I do have one problem though (driving me crazy a little bit actually)...
I have 4 fans in total running in push pull with the H100. None of the pin head sockets can reach to the H100 pump so i've had to link the two inside fans to the sys_fan1 & pwn_fan and then the two outside (schythes) are connected to the molex.

All the fans are at full pelt and I cant turn them down. I know the molex ones can't be controlled but the 2x Corsair ones are attached to the mobo and are 3-pins. Software I've tried: SpeedFan, HWMonitor, Easytune. I've tried updating my bios, disabling cool'n'quiet. My system fan settings are enabled in bios too.

It's very cool but very loud lol!

Again, thanks for looking and opinions much appreciated!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon;15189109
Looks awesome, how difficult was it to remove the 3.5" drive cage?
Cheers. At first it was difficult but I was doing it the wrong way as I was just trying to yank them off. I used a knife and wedged it right by the rivet and used the flat side of the pliers to hammer it right off, the other side of the rivet literally just falls out then.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Decided i'm going to get a fan controller for this as the noise is so loud at full whack.

I will have to sacrifice my optical drive but that is fine as there are external ones available.

Looking at either Lamptron or Scythe for a 5.25" one. Although this budget
looks decent too.

edit: Quick question, does your fan controller connect to your pwn_fan socket and then all your 3 pin fans connected to your fan controller?

·
Overclocker
655 Posts
no the fan controller just connects 2 psu for power that's it

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liighthead;15198486
nice work should give it a paint job in their to
wink.gif
Would love to but I just don't have the space, living in a one bed studio apartment with my girlfriend.. she was going mental that I'd set up residence in the living room with my computer parts spewed all over the place!
eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoW;15198522
no the fan controller just connects 2 psu for power that's it
ah, I shoulda known, thanks.

Btw, I went for the Scythe Kaze Master 5.25" in black. Will post some pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Probably a noob question, but...

I'm curious as to which way your air flow is going. do you have the front fans pulling air into the case with the rear and top fan blowing out? did you install the side panel fan and if so is that blowing out as well?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wish I would of seen this before I bought my new case.

I had an Antec 300 which I could not fit my 6970+Accelero XTREME Plus in so I had to upgrade to a modular case.

Looks really nice though. That case treated me well.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farquhar;15259627
Probably a noob question, but...

I'm curious as to which way your air flow is going. do you have the front fans pulling air into the case with the rear and top fan blowing out? did you install the side panel fan and if so is that blowing out as well?

Thanks in advance.
My aim was to have it being pulled in from the front and being exchausted through the back... What I have done is this: turned around the rear 120mm backwards and have all the other 5 120mm facing forwards...

Can someone please confirm this set up is correct? I cannot tell which way a fan is blowing. Temps are great.

I have no fan on my side panel.

Here is an updated pic with the Scythe Kaze by the way, peace at last!!

dsc03293c.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
Since I recent aquired another Antec 300, I'm gonna give this a shot. I'm hoping to not destroy the case. Im thinking I'll try to pop 1 or 2 of the rivets and then evaluate if I should procceed. Thanks for the idea and answering my question!

·
Registered
150 Posts
nice motherboard, i'm getting the same.

do you still have the 6 drive bay piece that you cut off? interested in selling it?

I am doing a casemod out of an old antec 300, going to cut it in half and stick 3 of those 6 slot drive bays in the case for my server (18 drives)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BinaryDemon
View Post

Since I recent aquired another Antec 300, I'm gonna give this a shot. I'm hoping to not destroy the case. Im thinking I'll try to pop 1 or 2 of the rivets and then evaluate if I should procceed. Thanks for the idea and answering my question!

depending how you do it, each rivet can be done within seconds, i had no drill but hammering them out was so easy. go for it man! Just wondering, are you doing it to mount a 240 rad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrZDem
View Post

Very nice, I was planning on removing my HDD bays at some point too. The way you did should make things a lot easier.

cheers & good luck, you shouldn't have any problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fventura03
View Post

nice motherboard, i'm getting the same.

do you still have the 6 drive bay piece that you cut off? interested in selling it?

I am doing a casemod out of an old antec 300, going to cut it in half and stick 3 of those 6 slot drive bays in the case for my server (18 drives)

Yeah, I still have the drive bays and I don't mind giving them to you if you paid shipping. I'm in the UK you see. I seem to remember one of them being slightly bent but that could just be my memory making things up, will take some pics later.
p.s. the mobo is sweet. worrying about upgrading my cpu though now, I hope bulldozer improves a lot mores between now and christmas other i'm getting a 1100t!

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah, I haven't been too impressed with Bulldozer right now,

I have an x4 840 in my server and I want that motherboard because of the expand-ability for running more RAID cards (yeah, I know, waste, huh =) )

I didn't know you were so far, it'd be way too expensive for me to ship it to the US. Thanks for that though!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93;15298375
Please switch those fans to intake. You'll get better temps
smile.gif
whilst your here, could you please give me some advice on how to do this?

I thought I had all my fans to intake apart from the far end fan which I have facing backwards, is this right? I've tried to research the best way of doing this but I cant make head nor tail of it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts