Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Just noticed my H100i's temps were ridiculously high when playing games. I reseated the heatsink and applied thermal paste, but still have the same problem.

When I press down fairly lightly on the corsair emblem, the temps go WAY down. Like down to upper 40's C even while playing BF4.

Any ideas?

hightemps.JPG 172k .JPG file

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
The fact that the temperatures go down when you press on the pump definitely points towards the cooler not being seated properly.

I know you have already reseated it but I would advise you to do it one more time and make sure you are following the instructions properly. Also make sure you aren't applying too much or too little thermal paste.

This is all you need:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
What ''twerk'' said,it's not seated properly,what happens if you try tightening the cooler a little more....?

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDillon View Post

Hi all-

Just noticed my H100i's temps were ridiculously high when playing games. I reseated the heatsink and applied thermal paste, but still have the same problem.

When I press down fairly lightly on the corsair emblem, the temps go WAY down. Like down to upper 40's C even while playing BF4.

Any ideas?

hightemps.JPG 172k .JPG file
I had the same problem with my H80i. Solution was to add 4 washers to the backside of the motherboard/H100i fixture, one for each screw - or anything that would add space. The washers/spacers provided were not thick enough hence i could not tighten down the screws enough to make good contact.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanofsong View Post

I had the same problem with my H80i. Solution was to add 4 washers to the backside of the motherboard/H100i fixture, one for each screw - or anything that would add space. The washers/spacers provided were not thick enough hence i could not tighten down the screws enough to make good contact.

Hope this helps.
+1
thumb.gif

did the same thing with an h60 a few weeks ago, added 4 washers to each corner to increase mounting pressure. temps dropped by ~20c

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh awesome- thanks a ton guys!!! I'll report back

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmm I might have to try this washer thing, When I first installed the backplate it was very loose until I installed the pump/block.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so it turns out that with an LGA 2011 socket (which I just upgraded to), you must use different mounting screws... The ones I should have been using are shorter, which explains why the heatsink wasn't fully engaged with the CPU.

My temps are AMAZING now. Thoroughly impressed. high 20's/low 30's idle and low to mid 40's while playing BF4 on Ultra. Incredible improvement
thumb.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts