Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if everyone thought the Corsair H50 is still worth it in the wake of the H70's existence. I've been waiting for a sale to come along to buy one for my girlfriend's rig since she has a Q6600 and a relatively small (read as cramped) case, where the H50 would be put to good use.

Last night we saw that Tiger Direct was having a sale that made it $60 with free shipping after a coupon code. As she's placing the order, I jokingly told her to get me one and without a second thought she added another one to her cart and paid for it!

While I do have to compensate her, it got me thinking, is the H50 a worthwhile cooler for my sig rig knowing that the H70 is out now? I ask this, because after shipping and tax in some places, the cost of the H70 is pretty much double the cost of the H50. So is the performance difference worthwhile, even though I'll likely be using my Scythe S-Flex G's in push/pull with the H50.

For those of you interested in the sale
, check this link out:

http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...-h50-59-a.html

·
#SavedTheCrew
2,644 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliehorse55 View Post
Yes. The H50 is a great cooler for that price, and while it won't touch a full custom loop it is still slightly better than even high end air cooling.
Yeah it's worth it. Might be even MORE worth it now, when the H70 came out the H50 dropped in price a little bit.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I'm coming from a TRUE 120 and the thing I hate the most is the mounting on it. Right now my temps are higher than normal because it was major pain remounting it when I got my new motherboard. I actually cut my finger open twice, trying to screw the X-bracket in so I just did what I could to get it secured and left it.

I've been reading that with good fans, the H50 can pull its own weight up there with my TRUE. I'm hoping that is the case with my S-Flex G's. However, I've also been reading about the Silverstone Air Penetrator:

Amazon.com: SilverStone Air Penetrator Air Channeling Case Fan 120*120*25mm/1500rpm AP121 (Black): Electronics Amazon.com: SilverStone Air Penetrator Air Channeling Case Fan 120*120*25mm/1500rpm AP121 (Black): Electronics

Anyone know or have any first hand experience with this fan on an H50?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you want "Good fans", use 120x38mm Deltas/San Aces/Panaflos.
They are the best of the best in CFM & Pressure; there is no point dealing with anything else if you can fit it.

Also, this newer bracket makes mounting the TRUE extremely easy, if you want to keep it.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thlgboreboxb.html

Personally, I don't see the value in buying an h50 if you already have a TRUE with good fans like I've mentioned.
If you're going to upgrade, go all the way and do a custom loop; otherwise upgrade your fans.
H50/H70s are a good first choice if you haven't anything already, but are no substitute for the real thing.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
They are the best of the best in CFM & Pressure; there is no point dealing with anything else if you can fit it.

Also, this newer bracket makes mounting the TRUE extremely easy, if you want to keep it.

Personally, I don't see the value in buying an h50 if you already have a TRUE with good fans like I've mentioned.
If you're going to upgrade, go all the way and do a custom loop; otherwise upgrade your fans.
H50/H70s are a good first choice if you haven't anything already, but are no substitute for the real thing.
Well, the main reason I got it was because the girlfriend just went ahead and bought it. She let me know about it after she got the confirmation. So I figured it would be cool to have, especially if it was close in performance to my TRUE and a whole hell of a lot easier to mount. But of course, it figures now that the H50 is on its way, that I would hear about a new mounting bracket from Thermalright, lol.
Regardless, thanks for pointing this out.

I have thought about doing custom watercooling, but personally, I don't see the value in doing it for my CPU alone, to tell you the truth, since my current setup isn't loud and is pretty cool as is. For the few hundred invested towards a good setup and the maintenance afterwards, the H50/70 is more worthwhile for my needs since it's a lot less hassle to deal with in the long run. Plus I can always sell my TRUE to offset the cost of the H50.
However, cooling my HD5970 is a different story and one that I'm seriously taking in heavy consideration because that mofo can get loud during long gaming sessions.

I'm definitely going to move my two Scythe S-Flex G's over to the H50 to see how they perform first. If need be, the 38mm fans are certainly on my short list of possible fan upgrades.

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Quote:

There certainly is a point in dealing with something else. All the fans you listed are LOUD.

Mounting giant heatsinks is a mega PITA. I'd much rather have an H50.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
The H50 is definitely worth it. My push/pull setup outperforms significantly a similar TRUE setup That I utilized for a short time.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pewpewlazer View Post
There certainly is a point in dealing with something else. All the fans you listed are LOUD.
Silent and High Performance don't go together when talking about fans.
You can drop the db, but you're going to drop CFM & Pressure at the same time; fan blade design can only be so efficient.

That said, if it is too much for your delicate ears - buy a fan controller.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
its not the best , but does the job done

·
Jayce
3,767 Posts
Use a pair of Scythe Gentle Typhoons if you want performance + decently quite sound. It'll cost you though.

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
It's nearly half the price and not too far off in performance; still a good buy in my book

Should perform just fine for you; I went from a Megahalems to H50 (space constraints) and found them to be right on par with each-other

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post
Use a pair of Scythe Gentle Typhoons if you want performance + decently quite sound. It'll cost you though.

They cost ~$15 ea. but have great static pressure; pretty much the best you'll do aside from getting a couple 38mm fans + a controller.

·
3DFX User
7,278 Posts
Yes the H50 rocks for the price point! You can always upgrade it later with a bigger rad etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a modded h50 (microres, tubing, lapped) with a pair of yate loons in push/pull on my oc'ed q6600 and it keeps it right around 30c at idle and 48-52c at full load. I think the highest I got it was 56c during prime95 testing. So for the $60 I paid for mine its been well worth it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Definitely worth. Since the price has dropped (because of H70), its worth the Price : Performance. Even better!. Get it.

·
Village Idiot
2,394 Posts
Quote:

Silent and High Performance don't go together when talking about fans.
You can drop the db, but you're going to drop CFM & Pressure at the same time; fan blade design can only be so efficient.

That said, if it is too much for your delicate ears - buy a fan controller.
You never specified that you were only referring to "High Performance" fans.

I'm not an idiot, I understand how airflow and pressure drop as noise decreases

Buy a fan controller? Have you ever heard an undervolted 38mm fan? They sound awful.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It's definitely a better value for your money compared to the H70 but some people dont care about the price

1 - 20 of 22 Posts