Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so i was thinking of picking up a MSI H61m-p23 for my GF's micro build, originally she was going to get a gene IV for the built in sound card and sli gts 450's. but i was thinking since i managed to get a xfi hd at BB for cheap and she really only needs it for general stuff (she also has a high powered build AMD that she can use) it might be better to go with the h61 with a single 450 and the xfi HD.

In short, Are there any known issues with h61 boards? like should i be worried about lack of heatsyncs or any power problems with it (power phase, vrm etc)?

Would it be worth going the h61 route for $20 or might be worth looking at other options?

Thanks for the help!
 

·
New OCN got me like...
Joined
·
4,097 Posts
I think H61 is just H67 without USB 3.0 and Sata III, so if you won't need those things, then I'd go for it. However, you won't be able to OC with H61, so you could try to save some money and get a 2500 (or something lower like a 2100). Does your GF really need all this high end gear?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
To my knowledge, H61 is okay(other than the lack of some fancy features of H67/P67/Z68). I assume that you know that there is NO overclocking on H61 motherboards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah okay, so its "dumbed" down mobo pretty much. But yeah i know theres no OCing, already have the 2500k in my HTPC's h67
just need a board to put it into her computer and getting a i3 2100 in the htpc. +rep to both

Quote:


Originally Posted by onoz
View Post

I think H61 is just H67 without USB 3.0 and Sata III, so if you won't need those things, then I'd go for it. However, you won't be able to OC with H61, so you could try to save some money and get a 2500 (or something lower like a 2100). Does your GF really need all this high end gear?

Shes aerospace engineer and mechanical engineer, so she uses CAD and a few other programs, usually uses my desktop for it but shes got her own comp now

Quote:


Originally Posted by lin2dev
View Post

To my knowledge, H61 is okay(other than the lack of some fancy features of H67/P67/Z68). I assume that you know that there is NO overclocking on H61 motherboards.

ah okay
 

·
New OCN got me like...
Joined
·
4,097 Posts
Ah okay sounds like you already know about the K series then. Back to your original question, if you can really get a decent H61 mobo for $20 then I'd jump right on that. Good luck with your build, and if you have time, let us know how that mobo holds up!

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by onoz
View Post

Ah okay sounds like you already know about the K series then. Back to your original question, if you can really get a decent H61 mobo for $20 then I'd jump right on that. Good luck with your build, and if you have time, let us know how that mobo holds up!

Cheers!


thanks, ill post up some stuff prob in her build log some time, and hope for the best (and that it lasts)


Quote:


Originally Posted by lin2dev
View Post

Same.....and if you're getting a $20 Sandy Bridge mobo off a website feel free to link me!

hah nah, getting it from a friend who has no need for it and never used it
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top