Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
Quote:
While it may only be able to shoot a few cans right now, we certainly wouldn't want to be in front of [Jason]'s fully automatic Gauss gun capable of firing 15 steel bolts from its magazine in less than two seconds.

The bolts are fired from the gun with a linear motor. [Jason] is using eight coils along the length of his barrel, each one controlled by an IGBT. These are powered by two 22 Volt 3600mAh LiPo battery packs.
Alright this is pretty insane, but I calced the wattage and he's working with 18k to get this to work. Probably alittle more refining and it could require less power to do more. Very impressive and alittle crazy that this guy made a rail gun in his home.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelthras View Post

Source
Quote:
While it may only be able to shoot a few cans right now, we certainly wouldn't want to be in front of [Jason]'s fully automatic Gauss gun capable of firing 15 steel bolts from its magazine in less than two seconds.

The bolts are fired from the gun with a linear motor. [Jason] is using eight coils along the length of his barrel, each one controlled by an IGBT. These are powered by two 22 Volt 3600mAh LiPo battery packs.
Alright this is pretty insane, but I calced the wattage and he's working with 18k to get this to work. Probably alittle more refining and it could require less power to do more. Very impressive and alittle crazy that this guy made a rail gun in his home.
Self-defense weapon anyone?
biggrin.gif

I really wanna get into this kinda stuff. I think it would be awesome to be making gauss rifles for your neighborhood.
tongue.gif

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
That is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Quote:
These are powered by two 22 Volt 3600mAh LiPo battery packs
That little m in the mAh means its only 3.6amps which is not alot of power. you can get a 24v 100 56Ah liquid cooled battery that is used for military and automotive applications for about $4k lol. But yeah that means he is using close to 80watts of power which is pretty impressive really.

But if he was using 3600 amp batteries it would be through some thick solid copper cables and would be probably be faster than a .22 rifle round. Cause thats 158k+ watts and them coils are not gonna be able to hold that kind of power.

·
Not New to OCN
1,750 Posts
Not hurt? I sure wouldn't want that thing firing at me!
tongue.gif

·
Rabies is my business
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

cool, but the aiming laser is off, and should have rifling in the barrel to prevent the projectile from tumbling
Rifling would make no difference. The projectiles are not in contact with the "barrel" of a gauss gun. They would need to be fin stabilized.

·
Cake
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraprime View Post

That little m in the mAh means its only 3.6amps which is not alot of power. you can get a 24v 100 56Ah liquid cooled battery that is used for military and automotive applications for about $4k lol. But yeah that means he is using close to 80watts of power which is pretty impressive really.

But if he was using 3600 amp batteries it would be through some thick solid copper cables and would be probably be faster than a .22 rifle round. Cause thats 158k+ watts and them coils are not gonna be able to hold that kind of power.
3.6 Amp Hours so they can provide 3.6A for one hour before becoming discharged , and they are 50C rated so 50*3.6 = 180 Amps max discharge ( can be a lot more ) @ 50 Volts as the 22v packs are used in series - 9Kw
The gun doesn't draw 3.6 amps when fired , it draws pluses of current in the hundreds of watts to Kw range

Its a great build , wasn't expecting it to run from 50 Volts to drive the coils , But then its a lot smaller then using Electrolytic capacitors to drive each stage .

Need to get me some electrolytic caps and SCR's
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraprime View Post

Amps (and watts) are very different measurements from amp-hours (and watt-hours).

·
Alt+Right
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

biggrin.gif

I really wanna get into this kinda stuff. I think it would be awesome to be making gauss rifles for your neighborhood.
tongue.gif
What are you trying to do? Defend yourself from an ant? Maybe scare a rabbit off?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'd like to see something like this in a 1mm caliber, maybe even less. Then you could adequately accelerate the round with (cost-effective) hand held power. Catch a 10-round burst of those and tell me if it's underpowered.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletSponge View Post

Rifling would make no difference. The projectiles are not in contact with the "barrel" of a gauss gun. They would need to be fin stabilized.
You know when I didn't know much about gauss guns I had the same idea. I've always wondered if there is a method to vectorize the magnetic force in the coils. I guess you'd need a projectile with it's own field to do that though.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by di inferi View Post

Quote:

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
What are you trying to do? Defend yourself from an ant? Maybe scare a rabbit off?
The average joe thug isnt gonna stick around to figure out how strong a "gauss rifle" is. If I was on the receiving end of that, you can guarantee I'd be half way down the next street before you could even lift that thing to me. And I bet taking a nail from that to the chest is nothing like a .43g airsoft bb hitting you at 550 fps or a paintball hitting you.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
Quote:

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
That thing is more than lethal. You really think you would survive getting shot in the chest with that? The head? Gonads?

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
Quote:

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
That thing is more than lethal. You really think you would survive getting shot in the chest with that? The head? Gonads?

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIMP88 View Post

Quote:

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
I don't wanna live if I get shot in the gonads...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts