Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding a dvd system to my camaro. I got one of these folding portable dvd players for christmas and I don't use it. I was thinking would it be possible to take of the screen from the dvd player section, cut the wire, and solder a longer one so that the screen will be on my dash and the dvd player in the glovebox? What kind of connections does the screen use? There must be two audio wires for the speakers, which would be easy to reconnect, but what kind of cable would you use to provide power and video to the lcd screen?

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you know the manufacturer and model number then you should be able to find more information. We can't help you without at least knowing that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I took it apart. Luckiliy I didn't have to cut anything the connectors aren't soldered.

Could someone look at this and tell me if it's possible to make the connection between the dvd player and lcd screen much longer? Maybe without soldering? Does radioshack have connectors like that so I could just plug everything in? Sorry for the blurry pics they're from my palm.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
just cut the sleeving off the wires, then splice in some long extensions, and use the connectors for doing that, they look like little plastic tubes with aluminum lining inside.you can find them at radiashack,re insulate them and use some electrical tape as a replacement wire sleeving...

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
and for powering the dvd player you can buy a cheap power inverter also found at radioshack,i think, that plugs into you cigarett lighter, but you could strip those wires too and hard wire it to a 12v power souce and grond to any metal on the chassis... it should all fit in the glove box!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Your most likely going to need a transformer of some sort to breakdown the voltage from your normal car power into something that dvd player could use

It runs on a 12 volt adapter so no trouble there.

What do you mean by reainsulating them? So you're saying I'll have to cut the wires and solder in a longer portion? The bigger connector has 12 different color wires, and they're pretty short so it would be a major pain.

I was hoping that radioshack would have a connector that would just plug in. I think these are pretty common I'll have to check. I think I've seen these same connectors somewhere in my pc. Better yet if they had a long one with a female connection on one end and a male on the other, that would make it super easy.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
oh by all means, if you can find an extension with the connectors and such use that! but i figured it would be hard to do that so you may just have to wire in an extension for each wire...you seem like you know what you have to do.... so just go check out radiashack and see what needs to be done... good luck

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad news for me, I couldn't find those connectors anywhere. I guess the only other way would be to solder in a longer portion then. That's definitely not going to be fun.

Does it matter what king of wire I use? I mean doesn't a video cable have a higher resistance? Will the legnth of the cables change anything?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts