Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right see my rig at the bottom? Well I've had it with the thing and want to get rid of it and make a new one. I'm sick of upgrading it.

Price range £1000 - £2000 (Monitor and Speakers im keeping - so base only)

I was thinking of:
  • Intel core 2 duo E6600 - CPU
  • OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8000 Dual Channel XTC Platinum Series EL-DDR2 - Memory
  • Abit AW9D-MAX Intel 975X - Motherboard
  • 512MB XFX 7950GT, PCI-E (x16), Mem 1400 MHz, GPU 550 MHz, 24 Pipes, 2xDual Link DVI-I/HDTV - Graphics
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Fatal1ty FPS - Sound
  • NEC AD-7173A-0B Labelflash Black 18x DVD±RW Dual Layer inc 12x RAM - DVDRW
  • 3.5MB FLoppy for old stuff - Floppy
  • ThermalTake Mozart TX - Chassis
  • 2 X 400 Gb Seagate ST3500630AS Barracuda 7200.10 & 1 X 320 Gb Seagate ST3320620AS Barracuda 7200.10 - Harddrives
  • OCZ GameXStream 700w - PSU
  • Big Typhoon VX 120 - Cooling
Do you think that will do me for a year or two?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yes it will do you!
BUT y dont u save ur self some money and buy a worse gfx card now - and then get a DX10 card when they come out? Also, isnt that case REALLY expensive - isnt there sumthing out there that is just as good for less? one more thing, you might want to invest in some WD Raptors and run them in RAID 0- they would be blisteringly fast!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
not a fan of that fatality. but if you like it you like it, i'd go for a scythe infinity. Other than taht its all looking sick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had seagates all my lafe and no problems. Feel free to build me a rig within the price range - ill be looking to buy in JAN 2007 when vista is out so obviously things will change.

Please, post links to items you think are better - may want to look at them

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mycomputersucks

Personally I wouldn't get the Dominator ram. It's nice stuff but I would go for somthing cheaper and get a 512mb X1900XT instead of the 7950gt.

2Gb (2X1Gb) CorsairTwinX XMS2 Pro, DDR2 PC6400(800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP - about half the price.

·
Registered
564 Posts
this a linky to the WD Raptor X [here]

also - if your thinking about buying in Jan... im sure that the ATI R600 cards (DX10) are coming out around Feb - so you might want to hold off and go all out then!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FusionXN1

2Gb (2X1Gb) CorsairTwinX XMS2 Pro, DDR2 PC6400(800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 4-4-4-12, EPP - about half the price.

im assuming you like corsair then! lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iceblade008

this a linky to the WD Raptor X [here]

also - if your thinking about buying in Jan... im sure that the ATI R600 cards (DX10) are coming out around Feb - so you might want to hold off and go all out then!

OUCH - 150gb drives and £170 each. Thats a lot! I could get 4 or 5 320's for 2 of them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:

OUCH - 150gb drives and £170 each. Thats a lot! I could get 4 or 5 320's for 2 of them.

lol! how much did u say your case was?

EDIT: And if u search the net you can find then for closer to £100 each...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

lol! how much did u say your case was?

That was £240 but its a real nice case and that works out more
Whats the "eye" difference in raid anyway.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:

I was told real time "eye" difference of raid is nothing. So i was never interested.

fair enuf! btw - i wish i had your budget to buy a system!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

fair enuf! btw - i wish i had your budget to buy a system!

Well right now I don't thats why it would be JAN.

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
Intel + SLI board? That does not look good... nVidia chipsets never have been good performers on the Intel platform

Agreed on the RAM. Get a good G.Skill HZ DDR2 800 kit.

I would not get Raptors... yeah, they're fast, but indeed expensive, and high cost per GB. Your picks are just fine. You might consider four 320 GB drives in RAID0+1 is you are worried abuot data security (640GB effective storate)

Case is a personal choice. I think that Zalman case is not worth the money, or not even half of it. You can get a good Lian-Li for about half the price.

Also, get a much more powerful PSU. 620W is not going to cut it for the DX10 cards. Just wait for the new wave of 1KW+ units that will come out when DX10 cards appear. Or be prepared to add a 5.25" bay PSU for the video card.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chozart

Intel + SLI board? That does not look good... nVidia chipsets never have been good performers on the Intel platform

Agreed on the RAM. Get a good G.Skill HZ DDR2 800 kit.

I would not get Raptors... yeah, they're fast, but indeed expensive, and high cost per GB. Your picks are just fine. You might consider four 320 GB drives in RAID0+1 is you are worried abuot data security (640GB effective storate)

listen to chozart - he is all knowing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm I'll take a look at other manufactures of ram, I never actually looked into it. Is OCZ anygood?

What's a good case to hold 6HDDs then?

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
Well, get a dx10 card then instead of that. Also, get an FSP 700W psu over that enermax one. Hang on, I'll build you a nice rig. Or Chozart will....

EDIT: Wow, 4 people beat me when I was posting, my bad.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts