Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started folding a couple days ago, and I just got hooked for some reason.
I set up all the computers(5) i own, and would even install on my parents or sisters computer when i got the chance because i know they wont notice it running. (That's when i realized i was addicted)

Anyways I'm afraid of the electricity bill and only my main computer is decent, so i feel like the electric to folding ratio just isn't going to be worth it for my other computers, but even when i tried to uninstall or quit folding i would have to select "pause work when done" because i have no will power!

So I'm sorry

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I know what you mean

I'll stop folding (cut back) when my parents go into shock from the power bill.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It saves the world! and I'm all for that if i could afford it, for now ill just keep volunteering for beach clean ups =D

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,110 Posts
well, you can at least power up all those folding clients whenever we have a foldathon or when we do the chimp challenge especially.

·
Once more into the Fold
2,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3
View Post

well, you can at least power up all those folding clients whenever we have a foldathon or when we do the chimp challenge especially.

Exactly. We will need those extra rigs to compete in the Chimp Challenge in May.

I know exactly how you feel about the addictive properties of folding. I started with just 2 9600GTs and now only a year later I have 3 dedicated rigs with 3 GPUs each and my gaming rig that I only fold on when we need a boost in PPD.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
I had to take my rigs down.
too spensive to run them. Although, when it gets cold I turn them on. I figure they put out as much heat as a space heater, use probably the same amount of electricity except it helps find cures for diseases.

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
This week on Oprah (I think Wednesday) she will be having a special about folding and folding interventions. Guest speakers will be Bill Gates and Steven Jobs

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
You could prepare a 'spiel' about folding to give to your parents. Let them know what it is for, how it works, and why you want to get involved. Then let them know it might make the power bill go up. Ask them if they have the bill from last year at this time. Then, ask nicely if you can try folding for a month or two to see what change it makes on the power bill and if they will mind the difference. If you've explained it correctly, they should be at least understanding.

If nothing else, they say no and your 'taking initiative and being responsible' gets noticed. But if they agree, it can become more of a family investment. Might even help you pull for a new 480.

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

You could prepare a 'spiel' about folding to give to your parents. Let them know what it is for, how it works, and why you want to get involved. Then let them know it might make the power bill go up. Ask them if they have the bill from last year at this time. Then, ask nicely if you can try folding for a month or two to see what change it makes on the power bill and if they will mind the difference. If you've explained it correctly, they should be at least understanding.

If nothing else, they say no and your 'taking initiative and being responsible' gets noticed. But if they agree, it can become more of a family investment. Might even help you pull for a new 480.

Following up on this, some them these threads too, to show what Folding can mean to people:
Is Folding worth it?
Folding Memorial: I fold for...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh no its not my parents paying for it, I'm just saying when i got a chance to visit I ended up folding with their computers same for whenever i get my hands on any computer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts