Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello newbie here, just looking for some answers to help improve air flow for this case. Currently has all stock fans looking to upgrade the front 200mm with 2x Phanteks PH-F120MP and try to mod 1 Phanteks PH-F140MP at the 5.25 drive bay and probably move the other 200mm as an exhaust fan on top. Thoughts? or just overkill for my setup.

My setup is ancient, but looking to upgrade by the end of the year.
i5 3570k with Thermalright True Spirit 120
Maximus V Gene
Strix GTX 1070

·
Linux Lobbyist
313 Posts
Another person in the situation yay !, well i have haf 932 but still :)

Anyway what i've done is i've bought a Xigmatek 4 in 3 hdd cage and placed it to cover the 2nd,3rd and 4th 5.25 drive bays from the bottom (in the 1st one closest to bottom fan i have a fan controller mounted). Then i used 2 x (120mm) Scythe Gentle Typhoons (1850rpm) i had lying around, and mounted 1 on the cage and 1 on the bottom fan mount and i'm running one @1200rpm and other @800rpm (same noise level, 800rpm one is busted a bit :p). The only other fan i use is another Scythe fan (140mm) i salvaged from an old Scythe Zipang, and put it on the back as exhaust running @800rpm.

So yeah for your case, I'd def go with 1 PH-F140MP in the drive bay, 2 PH-F120MP in the front 200mm space, and 1 PH-F140MP in the back as exhaust.
I don't think there's any need to use any fans on the top, just a let a little bit of heat naturally come up (fans up there would steal the airflow from the cpu heatsink anyway), and let the back fan guide the bulk of the heat out the back of the case.

You could also block/tapeover half or 3/4 of the mesh area on the side-panel so the air wouldn't go out before it reaches the gpu, and remove pci-e brackets like Doyll always suggests :)

So yeah that's the tl:dr of that awesome Doyll post xD

·
Premium Member
27,108 Posts
I would block a openings in front fan mounting panel not filled/covered with fans so none of the air they are pushing/pulling into case can leak around into area they are pulling air from. We want the airflow from these front intakes to be pushing air toward back of case and out as welll as supplying cool air to cooler fans where cooler fans help by pushing cool air into cooler as well as pushing the heated exhaust on back and out of case.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Are you using the drive cages, or just the hot swap bays?

The 200mm fans that come with the case are a joke. I wouldn't use them at all. I have the case, I installed a 400x200mm radiator in the top with 2x 180mm ap182 fans. I intend to mod a 180mm radiator with an ap181 fan to the front of the case instead of the 200mm and watercool the GPU in a separate loop.

I only use the hot swap bays, so pulled the drive cages out for better airflow. I attached an old pic, was testing a motherboard for my brother's system here (needed an old GPU to boot the mobo and update the bios).

I have no intentions of letting the XM go, the case offers a lot of versatility, especially being able to hide a huge radiator in the penthouse.

(Pic was taken to show the size difference between my old case and HTPC to a friend).

Whatever mods you decide, please post some pics. Seal up any openings in the front where you do not have fans, to help keep the airflow front to rear, and remove the top exhausts.

I think a 180mm ap181 lower front can and a 140mm in the 5.25 bays would give the best results. The ap182 fan is simply too much noise. I run mine around 950rpm maximum.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts