Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided about 20 minutes ago that I'm going to finally try and finish HL2. I'm guessing this is not meant to be though.

This is the first time I've ran it since the update/addition of Steam Cloud and it was running great. I had VSYNC on and everything maxed. HOWEVER, whenever it gets to an Auto-Save point, it just takes a good 5 seconds (which was always normal) and then I get 'hl2.exe has stopped working...' and then it comes up to the intro screen (bald guy with a valve).

I've tried this with my CPU and GPU at stock, and a couple different OC's. Even underclocked both and I still get the same issue. I couldn't find an option to disable auto-save, but this is kind of annoying considering I was looking forward to this :/.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm I know drivers are fine, but the write permission may be an option. Never thought of it, lol.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so every time I go to 'unset read-only' and hit OK, it just goes back to normal.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez
View Post

Ok, so every time I go to 'unset read-only' and hit OK, it just goes back to normal.

It's only a problem if 'normal' is a check-mark as opposed to being all filled in. It's a tri-state box, so the only one you don't want it to be is checked.

Do you have any mods installed?

• Rep+
Reactions: pez

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
You might need to do it as adminstrator
Yeah, I guess that's really the only next step I can try. Only thing that irks me about that is having to make a shortcut on my desktop for it. I know if you do it through steam, some type of error gets created.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
It's only a problem if 'normal' is a check-mark as opposed to being all filled in. It's a tri-state box, so the only one you don't want it to be is checked.

Do you have any mods installed?
Yeah, it's the box that gets filled in. Not a check. And no, I don't have any mods on any game that I have on Steam.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had a similar problem with TF2 ('hl2.exe has stopped working' message box). I'm not sure which fixed it, but I tried:

1) Disabling "In-Game Steam Community" under options.
2) Running it in compatibility mode for XP.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm I've tried all these things, but it only happened at that one point. I decided to go back one auto-save and now all the 'LOADING...' points are fine, but I'll wait until I get back to the specific one to see if the problem persists.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got back to the specific save point/loading point in question a second time. Didn't happen again. Thanks to those that did attempt to help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts