Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the expansions for Half Life worth playing? They've gotten pretty meh reviews, and I'd like to get HL:S. However, if the expansions are worth it, I'll probably get HL, so the flow isn't broken going from one game to another.

What does OCN think?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do you mean the Half Life 2 episodes or like Half Life: Opposing Force/Half Life: Blue Shift? I assume it's the former.

·
Banned
4,012 Posts
def worth it, I bought orange box for 50 bucks to get HL2EP2, i havnt played portal and spent a total of 2 hours in TF2.

as for the HL1 expansions yes, Blue Shift and Opposing forces are def worth the money, just get the HL1 pack, comes with HL + BS and OF and all the other mods ect

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The expansions are okay. In blue shift you play as Barney Calhoun and in Opposing force you play as a marine that invades Black Mesa. I really think it adds to the story half-life told since you get to play from 3 different perspectives.

If you already played Half-Life then I wouldn't get HL: Source, its pretty much the same thing, just using the source engine's lighting and physics.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you're talking about Blue Shift and Opposing Force, I think they are both worth it for $5.00. Neither are great games in the Half Life sense but both are really good. If you're talking about the Half Life 2 episodes, get your credit card out, open Steam and buy them now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSandman
View Post

i havnt played portal

Blasphemy!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never played HL. I guess I'll get the expansions.

Now, should I get HL or HL:S?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Half life Source. Better physics, lighting, etc. You will also get the source SDK, if you don't already have it. It will allow you to play a ton of Source mods.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Conley View Post
I've never played HL. I guess I'll get the expansions.

Now, should I get HL or HL:S?
You could get either, the only difference I actually noticed between the two was the improved water. If you are at all interested in mods, and don't have HL2 or another source game (CSS, TF2, L4D, etc.) already, get HL:S. If you already have one of those, there isn't a very big difference between the two so get HL.

Oh, and if you do have a source game and like free games (mods) check out my sig, there's gobs of them.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:

View Post

def worth it, I bought orange box for 50 bucks to get HL2EP2, i havnt played portal and spent a total of 2 hours in TF2.

as for the HL1 expansions yes, Blue Shift and Opposing forces are def worth the money, just get the HL1 pack, comes with HL + BS and OF and all the other mods ect

How have you not played Portal? Get off your ass!

·
Banned
4,012 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
How have you not played Portal? Get off your ass!
portal bored me, i played the first 3 levels, i find it boring and a very stupid game

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:

View Post

portal bored me, i played the first 3 levels, i find it boring and a very stupid game

Oh geez... After you get through the levels is when it really gets good. Do yourself a favor and try again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts