Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I've recently gotten a Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD to use for my boot and essential programs.

I Followed the guides here to install it, on AHCI and everything else, trim is working and everything is as it should be... apart from the speeds,

EVERYTHING is responsive and quick, but looking at the ATTO bench mark something is not right?

ATTO-CF3-120GB-270mbs.jpg

(I know 270mb/s is quick but its half the advertised speed on the same bench...?

I'm running it on the Intel Controller SATA-II again all set at AHCI

The ONLY thing i can think is that its a SATA-III drive and it needs the faster interlink to reach top speeds? but even at 3Gb/s its coming nowhere near saturating it?

Anyway i've got a PCI-E SATA-III card coming today, maybe it will help, any suggestions would be welcome, (baring in mind i followed to the LETTER the SSD optimisation and installation guide found on here from 2 cables)

Thanks in Advance

PS. the Firmware is 1.2 as i had no problems with it it was advised by Corsair not to update the firmware (another possible cause)

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
Got it plugged into the native sata ports and not the blue jmicron or whatever it is?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah man, its in the first sata-II port, not the jmicron.

Do you think it could be a sata-I cable ? would that limit the speeds?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenLord;14717950
Like I say its still pretty fast, but the FORCE 3 is supposed to run at 550mb/s READ and 510mb/s Write...

http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-3/force-series-3-120gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html

I'm thinking it must be either SATA-II limitations (which seems unlikely) or i've somehow managed to use a SATA-I cable? not even sure if that would make a difference...
In Sata III, you'd see those speeds. You aren't using a Sata III connection.

In theory, the cable should not matter. In reality, not all Sata II cables can reliably run at Sata III speed.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
SATA2 is 3gbit (bits, not bytes), which you might assume divides to about 375MB/sec - but SATA uses some error correction (called, 8b/10b encoding) so you actually end up with 300MB/sec. Also, that's metric MB/sec rather than ~1024 MB/sec (MiB), so you actually have, ~286.1MiB/sec. (What Windows calls Megabytes)

Your read speeds are surprisingly close to that.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There is no such thing as a SATA I or II or III cable. A SATA cable is a SATA cable, now it might be a low quality one which introduces a lot of error correction but you don't need to get conned into buying "SATA III" special cables.

Your speeds look totally as one would expect for that drive connected to a decent SATA 3GB/s port.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy;14717988
SATA2 is 3gbit (bits, not bytes), which you might assume divides to about 375MB/sec - but SATA uses some error correction (called, 8b/10b encoding) so you actually end up with 300MB/sec. Also, that's metric MB/sec rather than ~1024 MB/sec (MiB), so you actually have, ~286.1MiB/sec. (What Windows calls Megabytes)

Your read speeds are surprisingly close to that.
drunken.gif

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by infected rat;14718019
There is no such thing as a SATA I or II or III cable. A SATA cable is a SATA cable, now it might be a low quality one which introduces a lot of error correction but you don't need to get conned into buying "SATA III" special cables.

Your speeds look totally as one would expect for that drive connected to a decent SATA 3GB/s port.
I think you'll find there is SATA-III cables

I thought so, so i've just taken delivery of the PCI-E ASRock SATA-III Card..

So i'll re-run the tests using its Marvell Controllers (all updated that is) and see if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infected rat;14718261
Just because they advertise them as SATA III cables that does not mean they are any different to any other quality generic SATA cable.
This.

Some companies would like you to believe you need to purchase new SATA cables (from them, of course) but all SATA cables are created equally. Since SATA 1.5gb/s.

• Rep+
Reactions: barq

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenLord;14717950
Like I say its still pretty fast, but the FORCE 3 is supposed to run at 550mb/s READ and 510mb/s Write...

http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-series-3/force-series-3-120gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html

I'm thinking it must be either SATA-II limitations (which seems unlikely) or i've somehow managed to use a SATA-I cable? not even sure if that would make a difference...
It WILL run at those speeds IF you plug your drive into a sata III 6Gb/s port, and if I'm right you plugged it into a sata II 3Gb/s port?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
You are being limited by SATA 3.0Gbps

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuinginsanity;14718276
This.

Some companies would like you to believe you need to purchase new SATA cables (from them, of course) but all SATA cables are created equally. Since SATA 1.5gb/s.
Hmmm Interesting... thanks for the info guys, I'll post benches with the new SATA-III card and some (conned into buying) SATA-III cables

Cheers guys!!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Yup, it's your SATA 3.0Gb/s controller which bottlenecks at around 285MB/s.

However, I would NOT run your SSD on a 3rd party SATA 6.0Gb/s controller.... your random performance will take a small hit. I rather have random than sequential performance.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenLord;14718288
Hmmm Interesting... thanks for the info guys, I'll post benches with the new SATA-III card and some (conned into buying) SATA-III cables

Cheers guys!!
I have some uber-snake-oil SATA4 cables I'll sell you for a special price. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;14718770
However, I would NOT run your SSD on a 3rd party SATA 6.0Gb/s controller....
Agreed, you're much better off using the decent onboard Intel SATA 3Gb/s controller over getting a PCI-E card which I assume has a Marvell SATA 6Gb/s controller on it - widely regarded as pretty poor. It doesn't match up to Intel's newer 6Gb/s controller you would find on the latest 1155 boards.

For 1366, 1156 or earlier you're really better off sticking to your Intel SATA 3Gb/s ports.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast;14718816
I have some uber-snake-oil SATA4 cables I'll sell you for a special price. PM me if you're interested.
LOL!! so about 300Euro per cm?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts