Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/infinite-inquiries

https://wccftech.com/343-industries-addresses-halo-infinite-graphics/

... “the second theme being discussed involves visual fidelity. Negative feedback in this area includes comments around characters and objects appearing flat, simplistic and plastic-like, lighting feeling dull and flat, and object pop-in. We’ve read your comments, we’ve seen the homemade examples of retouched content, and yes we’ve heard the Digital Foundry assessments. In many ways we are in agreement here – we do have work to do to address some of these areas and raise the level of fidelity and overall presentation for the final game. The build used to run the campaign demo was work-in-progress from several weeks ago with a variety of graphical elements and game systems still being finished and polished.” ...

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's the Sonic Movie way of thinking.

Release a trailer that makes the product look crappy, and gets fans outraged.
See what fans are complaining about.
Agree with fans that things need to change.
Make changes that should have been made before the trailer release.

·
Indentified! On the Way!!
2,781 Posts
It's a damned if they do damned if they don't kind of thing though.

For example; everybody watches various trailers at E3 and the like. "Wow, such graphics!!!" Then the game releases and the fidelity is no where near what the trailer at e3 showed.

343 showed what they had apparently without "filter" and they're castigated for it. They can't win for losing.

·
Politically incorrect
9,219 Posts
It's the Sonic Movie way of thinking.

Release a trailer that makes the product look crappy, and gets fans outraged.
See what fans are complaining about.
Agree with fans that things need to change.
Make changes that should have been made before the trailer release.
Or release an awful trailor and bask in the free publicity because you know the kids will rant and rave while you pretend you will fix all the problems that don't exist, so that fans will hail you as a great lover and maker of games.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
looks like an underwhelming doom clone.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
I like that they actually mentioned digital foundry. Those dudes are doing great work on their channel, keeping the industry in check.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If they add ray traced global illumination for the series X it should look a lot better.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
If they add ray traced global illumination for the series X it should look a lot better.
Yea maybe, and that is supposed to be their plan. Even with that in mind I think it's going to end up looking basically just like a last gen game with a ray tracing mod added on top similar to looking up halo 1 ray tracing mods on YouTube.

Ray tracing is cool and all but it's lame if all we get with Xbox sx is Xbox one game ports with ray tracing, or Xbox one ports at 120fps.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
everything about it was underwhelming. dressing it up with better lighting & shadows only fixes one layer of the problem.

it looks like it was developed as a 2012 AAA title.

- not a fan boy. i have less than 30 hours in MCC, and didn't play it as a kid.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yea maybe, and that is supposed to be their plan. Even with that in mind I think it's going to end up looking basically just like a last gen game with a ray tracing mod added on top similar to looking up halo 1 ray tracing mods on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ddfJME1b8

Ray tracing is cool and all but it's lame if all we get with Xbox sx is Xbox one game ports with ray tracing, or Xbox one ports at 120fps.
I watched a pretty compelling Digital Foundry video that pointed out the many instances in the demo where they were in large valleys and all lighting was indirect from the sun. Adding RT GI should definitely help make those models look more detailed and realistic in those instances. Add in more dynamic light sources and it should be a much more visually appealing experience imo.

Video:

·
Registered
514 Posts
everything about it was underwhelming. dressing it up with better lighting & shadows only fixes one layer of the problem.

it looks like it was developed as a 2012 AAA title.

- not a fan boy. i have less than 30 hours in MCC, and didn't play it as a kid.
I imagine you would have been even more underwhelmed if they used the same gameplay from Halo 1 to 3 which is what these crazy fanboys seem to be clamoring for. I don't get it. They don't see that that gameplay is aged and only a collection of them would still be playing it if 343 doesn't spice anything up

So what I am saying is, Infinite is neutered not only by gfx but by the fanboys that wanted to return to classic Halo. 343 is trying to appease both sides with a middle ground

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
the only thing that looks not-Halo Reach to me are the warthog physics (which have ALWAYS Been god awful until now) and the guns all looked bigger (IDSoft/Doom/Serious Sam stylee)

here i always thought "a return to classic halo" meant no longer ripping off of other franchises's already woefully generic story arches.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
I watched a pretty compelling Digital Foundry video that pointed out the many instances in the demo where they were in large valleys and all lighting was indirect from the sun. Adding RT GI should definitely help make those models look more detailed and realistic in those instances. Add in more dynamic light sources and it should be a much more visually appealing experience imo.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQd6W9BxLg
Yea but the models and assets are pretty low quality anyway so it will look like an old game that got an RT mod.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
Yea but the models and assets are pretty low quality anyway so it will look like an old game that got an RT mod.
which is some how what people think the Halo Purists want... which sounds like an intentional bastardization.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I imagine you would have been even more underwhelmed if they used the same gameplay from Halo 1 to 3 which is what these crazy fanboys seem to be clamoring for. I don't get it. They don't see that that gameplay is aged and only a collection of them would still be playing it if 343 doesn't spice anything up

So what I am saying is, Infinite is neutered not only by gfx but by the fanboys that wanted to return to classic Halo. 343 is trying to appease both sides with a middle ground
We DO see that the gameplay is aged. Some of us actually like it. Not everything needs tons of mechanics and complexity, the simplicity of replaying Halo on MCC has been wonderful compared to eg COD:MW or BFV.

·
User of the PC
2,028 Posts
We DO see that the gameplay is aged. Some of us actually like it. Not everything needs tons of mechanics and complexity, the simplicity of replaying Halo on MCC has been wonderful compared to eg COD:MW or BFV.
I am one that likes the "aged" gameplay as well . I'm sorry but these new fps games with all these new mechanics dont have a lasting appeal for the long run and it shows. Or maybe 343 just can't make a solid fps...I mean really 343 sounds like the person who asks for your opinion and does what they originally wanted anyways with their bizarre choices.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts

except for those god damn buggy physics, which look much much much much much much much better now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts