Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new rig soon (PII 965x125watt, ATI 5770, 2 22" widescreens,1000watt psu, ect...) I did buy the Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic card and I'm currently using a set of "Bose Companion II" speakers... they are great and sound awesome but they do not get loud and have no bass

I have been looking at Logitech Z-5500, would these be a substantial upgrade to the Companion II speakers? I'd rather try to stay as cheap as possible as I just dropped nearly $1200 in parts over the weekend and I'm not a man of wealth by anymeans.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twistid
View Post

I'd rather try to stay as cheap as possible..

You're getting into the $$$ range of an amplifier and HiFi speakers.

In the total world of sound reproduction, computer speakers are pretty much near the bottom end.

A used used '80s reciever (or integrated amp) and a decent satellite/sub setup (even though only 2.1) will outperform any "computer" speaker system.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
i think you will be very satisfied with the logitechs. if you are looking to save some money, go with the z-2300's. they are on sale pretty cheap at amazon last i heard. also, i think newegg has them on sale with free shipping. i have heard nothing but good things about the 2300's.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by billbartuska
View Post

You're getting into the $$$ range of an amplifier and HiFi speakers.

In the total world of sound reproduction, computer speakers are pretty much near the bottom end.

A used used '80s receiver (or integrated amp) and a decent satellite/sub setup (even though only 2.1) will outperform any "computer" speaker system.

Generaly this is true however, those particular logitechs are something of an expetion to that rule.

Trust me, this is coming from a guy with $3000 of audio gear hooked up to his PC (Onkyo 875, ascend acoustics 340SEs in front 170SEs in rear, SVS pb12NSD sub)

Not only are the logitechs greatly reviewed, I have auditioned them myself. Fantastic for the price.

They fit in a price niche where you couldn't achieve that kind of 5.1 sound with the same budged many other ways.

Now, if you didn't much care about going 5.1, the game changes.

For 200 bucks http://www.audioengineusa.com/a2_home.php will rock most stereo audio setups.

Anyway, my final recommendation is to get the logitech z-5500. You really can't go wrong. 5.1 is a TON of fun for both gaming and dvds (or even blue ray if your computer can do it).

·
Old school
14,410 Posts
Do they have to be 5.1?

Some other good suggestions would be:
Audioengine A2 (as posted above)
M-Audio Studiophile AV40 (I have these myself)

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcichetti View Post
I'm seriously considering the Z-2300's myself I have been looking at them for the last couple days everyone seems to rave about them.
I wouldn't do that.

I'd get the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers instead, they're supposedly WAY better.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
I wouldn't do that.

I'd get the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers instead, they're supposedly WAY better.

ugh, I personally can't stand anything Klipsch, way too bright and shrill for my tastes.

If you want a stereo speakers check out the M audio and Audio engine's listed above.

I would still rather the z2300s over the klipsch promedia.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
I wouldn't do that.

Quote:
"Like the Logitech Z-2200 and the Creative MegaWorks 250D-THX 2.1 speakers, the $180 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers have been on the market for more than a year [...] The ProMedia 2.1 set has the highest price of the three but not the highest-quality audio, which prevents us from recommending them over the competition."

Z-2300:
"The explosions and the spaceship rumbles of Escape Velocity: Nova showcased the Z-2300's subwoofer. For some ridiculous thunder, we turned the sub's volume to its max and blew up some enemy ships. The walls, the desk, and the floor shook with an intensity that quiet neighbors and coworkers will quickly learn to hate, yet even at this high volume, we experienced clarity in the middle and high frequencies with no distortion. "

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
i have the klipsch's right now and do not like them. they are way too bass heavy. if i don't have the bass volume all the way at it's lowest setting, it shakes the walls and sounds way too tubby. do yourself a favor and get the logitechs.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Quote:

i have the klipsch's right now and do not like them. they are way too bass heavy. if i don't have the bass volume all the way at it's lowest setting, it shakes the walls and sounds way too tubby. do yourself a favor and get the logitechs.

Ive heard that the logitechs are ever more bass heavy, muddy and the highs are too tinny. Go for the M audios or Audio Engine A2s and add an active sub like a Paradigm PD10 or something similiar depending on the size of your room.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa
View Post

There was a thread a while back, I'll try find it.

http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards...u-pick-me.html

Ah man. I even read the two forum links in that thread and it just sounds like fan boys back and forth for one or the other.

ricsim78 may have convinced me with the Klipsch with these statements..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricsim78
View Post

I could not agree more. For computer speakers less than $150.00 the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers are (by far) the best sounding computer speakers I have heard. In fact, they kill a lot of much more expensive setups and sound like you have some serious speakers hooked up to your computer.

The Logitech Z-2300 are just strange sounding speakers. The bass is overdone and not enough overall detail in the mids and highs. They are some of the strangest sounding speakers I have ever heard, not my cup of tea at all. I bought them a while back, hooked them up and could not get them sounding good no matter what adjustments I made. I sold them a week later on eBay, and bought the Promedia's with part of the money. Night and day, Klipsch sounded amazing out of the box and better once tailored.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricsim78
View Post

I was told by many how utterly amazing the Z-2300 sounded...then I bought them and was like, "What is everybody on! These sound terrible"

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For $260 could I do better than the Z-5500's ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should say I don't care about 5.1 ... Just 2.1 and a subwoofer is all I need

1 - 16 of 16 Posts