Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a fresh reinstall as my computer had all sorts of junk i had installed and uninstalled.

I recently setup a RAID using the gigabyte motherboard which I thought I had set up properly before but hadn't.

Now that I have started to install software for some reason my computer just keeps on handing, I mean when I was playing a video, it kept hanging for a while and then resuming after a while. Sometimes whilst browsing I can't click on anything in the software, but I can move my mouse about. Playing games the game itself won't respond but I can still move my mouse around everywhere.

When I installed my Windows, it took forever to installed for some reason, it definately took more than the 20 mins which I find on the internet is the average time it should really be taking.

I don't really have much installed on here except for just small programs such as, vlc player, klite media player, winzip, adobe reader, 1 large CAD application.

I'm running a virus scan through avast now.

Also I'm thinking if I stripped everything down again and use some compressed air to completely clean every component again and re configure the whole machine again, that may help.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Check that you installed all your drivers (especially chipset drivers) drivers properly.

Make sure you don't have your PSU out of balance, and that everything is securely hooked up (Not sure if your psu is multi rail or not, if its a single rail you can disregard balance.)

Check all sata connections are firmly attached.

Run a defrag

What type of RAID is it? It could be a sloppy RAID 1 constantly falling apart and rebuilding itself.

are you overclocked? If so, test this without the OC. It may be unstable OR overtaxing your ich0r (assuming you are using intel raid)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay so I've just reinstalled a chipset driver again, hoping that will make a difference.

I woke up today thinking my PC would be perfectly fine, it was until a few hours later. I managed to watch the grand prix without a problem however.

To check the SATA cables I'm going to have to disconnect everything and connect it all back up again, which is really annoying cos I had everything zip tied, hoping that I will never really need to touch it again. So this I will do if I experience the same problems soon, maybe the chipset drivers do some sort of trick.

Defrag? Really? It has hardly nowt on it, this will be my last resort.

It's a RAID 0, which from what I read should improve performance slightly.

Yes I have overclocked, wonder if there is a freeware which can take a snapshot of all my settings in text form which I can paste here somehow. Know of any?

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
there's sata cables with different ratings but they are all identical on the inside. Unless its broke, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also if there's really not much on it, a defrag should be quick and painless. Why NOT do one? You might be surprised how incredibly fragmented a "relevantly new" install can get due to all the writes and erases involved in installation processes of most software, including windows itself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.