Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right after my computer boots up I hit delete to go to bios and it went to the little flashing underscore it goes to right before it loads and hangs there. I tried it three times before it worked. I just ran memtest twice and it passed both times. I ran orthos earlier today for five hours. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
If it is freezing during while the BIOS is loading I would assume the BIOS is bad or the BIOS chip is bad. Try flashing the BIOS.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I have the bios that are on the board when I got it. Is there something I could do to cause this?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I doubt it. BIOS is ROM (Read Only Memory) so I doubt there is anything that you couldn't have done (short of messing with the BIOS chip yourself). Just go to your motherboard site and download the newest BIOS and flash it. They'll probably even have a WINflash app so it'll be really easy.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Try and reset your CMOS. Maybe that might do something (doubt it though). Otherwise flash your BIOS. All you have to do is download the bios (if you can, get the 7a bios), put them on a flash drive (after you have exracted them and stuff). Backup your old bios, install the new ones, and you are set.

Edit: DO NOT FLASH BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS!!!!!!!! Things can go to **** in the high river rather quickly when you flash in windows (or it BSOD on you in the middle of flashing). It is safer to do it from the utility provided within your BIOS itself.

• Rep+
Reactions: kaxel

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb
View Post

Try and reset your CMOS. Maybe that might do something (doubt it though). Otherwise flash your BIOS. All you have to do is download the bios (if you can, get the 7a bios), put them on a flash drive (after you have exracted them and stuff). Backup your old bios, install the new ones, and you are set.

Edit: DO NOT FLASH BIOS FROM WITHIN WINDOWS!!!!!!!! Things can go to **** in the high river rather quickly when you flash in windows (or it BSOD on you in the middle of flashing). It is safer to do it from the utility provided within your BIOS itself.

While it is true that the utility in the BIOS is safer, I've updated a few BIOS that only had a WINflash program! (Though, they were HP computers). And he doesn't seem to be having any with stability so the WINflash should be safe.

• Rep+
Reactions: kaxel

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured I would end up doing this one day. I guess now is as good a time as any to learn.

EDIT: If my bios chipped is messed up RMA I'm guessing...
Will this in any way improve my machine's OC capabilities?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaxel
View Post

I figured I would end up doing this one day. I guess now is as good a time as any to learn.

EDIT: If my bios chipped is messed up RMA I'm guessing...
Will this in any way improve my machine's OC capabilities?

Maybe. Sometimes BIOS updates unlocks certain features and sometimes they allow for better overclocking.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Like with the 7a and 7 bios for your UD3R (like I have
) allows for better stability at 400+ FSB

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
It's possible. Usually you can read about the changes and I'm sure the internet has more information on that BIOS revision. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My board became unstable in just this way and the BIOS flash took care of it. Does your board have the dual BIOS. If it does then there is no need to worry about flashing it. If you screw it up the board will recover from the back up. Use the BIOS utility and don't mess about with the windows program.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I flashed to F7. Everything seems to be fine, it seems that I can't get it quite as stable. The difference is extremely small though. The overall difference is only about 30mhz so not a big deal in exchange for stable BIOS.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
The loss in OC sucks, but having a stable BIOS is defiantly a good thing. Hope everything continues to run well for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts