Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, tomorrow linux will be 19 years old.

its my birthday tomorrow as well yey me

It sure has come a long way lol.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
What turns 19? The kernel? From what I've read it was only just made public in September 1991.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
That would make it 19 =P
My point was it was only made public in September, not created.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
My point was it was only made public in September, not created.
Yeah I know, but you could almost say that would be equal to it's "birth" as a person isn't created on their bday either...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
Yup, tomorrow linux will be 19 years old.

its my birthday tomorrow as well yey me

It sure has come a long way lol.
Happy birthday linux, and The Master Chief.

Quote:

What turns 19? The kernel? From what I've read it was only just made public in September 1991.
I'd say that's as good as a birth. It was conceived, developed in its computer womb, and was given birth to in 91. If Linus was the dad, who was it's mom?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by esocid View Post
If Linus was the dad, who was it's mom?
A female penguin.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:

Just said Linux was introduced.

Either way... its 19.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post
A female penguin.
That poor thing!!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Happy B-Days Linux, Master Chief and MadCat

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,414 Posts
Happy Birthdays Master Chief, MadCat, and Linux,

While MadCat and Master Chief allegedly
errr... actually had human parents and were presumably born and not hatched (me, I sorta Warped in) there is one big difference in the "birth" of Linux,

Linux was spawned by an unholy Voodoo union between Richard Stallman (who sacrificed a rubber chicken first) and a VAX-11 mainframe, who was assumed to be mostly female after a drunken evening playing Space Traveler and fantasizing about Princess Leia (and folks, this apparently pre-dated the Jabba the Hut Slave Costume)

Legend has it that lightning struck the power lines at the moment of orgasm and an F5 tornado promptly dumped Linus Torvalds in the Computer Science Lab at MIT who exclaimed "I don't think we're in Kanzis anymore, Toto" (it is assumed he was listening to 70's music on his Walkman) whereupon he immediately chanted "Ohm manny padmi Ohm" (Manny Padmi was evidently a reference to a music shop proprieter in Brooklyn where he'd bought the Walkman) and cast a spell and the spell was Linux, and He saw it was good.

In it's honor Linus popped in a 60's tape (CDs weren't spawned yet) and Jimi Hendrix began singing

Quote:

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red
The night I was born
I swear the moon turned a fire red
Well my poor mother cried out "lord, the gypsy was right!"
And I seen her, fell down right dead
(Have mercy)

Well my arrows are made of desire
From far away as Jupiter's sulphur mines
Say my arrows are made of desire, desire
From far away as Jupiter's sulphur mines
(Way down by the Methane Sea, yeah)
I have a humming bird and it hums so loud,
You think you were losing your mind, hmmm...
and Linus did lose his mind and decided that such a song didn't have the correct panache, however accurate, so he Fast Forwarded to The Slight Return and heard...

Quote:

Well, I stand up next to a mountain
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand.
Well, I stand up next to a mountain,
Chop it down with the edge of my hand.
Well, I pick up all the pieces and make an island,
Might even raise just a little sand.
Cause Im a voodoo chile,
Lord knows Im a voodoo chile, baby.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time,
Ill give it right back to you one of these days.
I said I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time,
Ill give it right back one of these days.
And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then ill, I'll meet you in the next one and don't be late, don't be late.
Cause Im a voodoo chile, voodoo chile,
Lord knows Im a voodoo chile, hey hey hey.
Im a voodoo chile, baby.
Having now returned to his senses, or so some say, Linus saw that it had been revealed that "the mountain" was Microsoft, his Foo was Kung, so he wrote the spell in C and unleashed his spawn upon the world and the prophecy is unfolding now, as we speak.

Happy Birthday indeed!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Happy Birthdays Master Chief, MadCat, and Linux,

While MadCat and Master Chief allegedly
errr... actually had human parents and were presumably born and not hatched (me, I sorta Warped in) there is one big difference in the "birth" of Linux,

Linux was spawned by an unholy Voodoo union between Richard Stallman (who sacrificed a rubber chicken first) and a VAX-11 mainframe, who was assumed to be mostly female after a drunken evening playing Space Traveler and fantasizing about Princess Leia (and folks, this apparently pre-dated the Jabba the Hut Slave Costume)

Legend has it that lightning struck the power lines at the moment of orgasm and an F5 tornado promptly dumped Linus Torvalds in the Computer Science Lab at MIT who exclaimed "I don't think we're in Kanzis anymore, Toto" (it is assumed he was listening to 70's music on his Walkman) whereupon he immediately chanted "Ohm manny padmi Ohm" (Manny Padmi was evidently a reference to a music shop proprieter in Brooklyn where he'd bought the Walkman) and cast a spell and the spell was Linux, and He saw it was good.

In it's honor Linus popped in a 60's tape (CDs weren't spawned yet) and Jimi Hendrix began singing

and Linus did lose his mind and decided that such a song didn't have the correct panache, however accurate, so he Fast Forwarded to The Slight Return and heard...

Having now returned to his senses, or so some say, Linus saw that it had been revealed that "the mountain" was Microsoft, his Foo was Kung, so he wrote the spell in C and unleashed his spawn upon the world and the prophecy is unfolding now, as we speak.

Happy Birthday indeed!
Don't know what your smoking but I want me some of that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts