Overclock.net banner

Which should I spend my $600 on??

  • Second 5870 video card

    Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Water cooling setup for my rig

    Votes: 41 65.1%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon have around $600 (Australian) and I was originally planning on purchasing a second 5870 but am now torn between getting the second 5870 and watercooling my rig as it is now, so I have decided to start a poll, should I get a 5870 or watercool my rig (Including my current 5870)??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Get wet. 5870 will thrash just about anything at any res you'd be using anyway.
I WOULD have done that but I left out one detail: I will be unable to spend all too much money for the next few years as I will be going into uni and I'm not sure i would be able to affort too much for my rig so I would in all likelyhood have to make this last for some time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Watercool your rig mate, you will never go back after experiencing the life of a water cooler
fiddling around with ur kit, tweaking it etc..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can get 4Ghz with HT on, it gets a little toasty since this is a C0 and needs about 1.45v to do it, but because I dont use LLC I feel safe running it 24/7 and as for the 5870, I haven't got around to trying anything other than CCC to OC it so i can hit 900/1300 which is the max it will allow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Watercooling the cooler the longer lasting you can add another card later when nvidia launches Fermi the prices will be lower for hd5870.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really my only problem with going on water is that if i want to add another card later I might not be able to afford to, but, on the same note, I have also considered scraping together some extra cash and getting a second 5870 and watercooling everything too, I'm just not sure if I'd be able to get the money together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,450 Posts
You've got an i7 rig, dual monitors, 12 GB of memory, a Noctua cooler, and a 5870, yet you're worried about getting money together...oh how ironic.

Honestly, people still don't need that second 4890 to run most games. I still say water.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
well heres something which should give you a fair idea what to start with..
Id personally go with something like this
*CPU block- swiftech apogee XT (personal vote goes to heatkiller 3.0 tho)
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swapxtcpuwa1.html
*Rad XPSX RX360 or a Swiftech MCR-220 Rad
http://www.petrastechshop.com/xsrxtr12ra.html
*tubing Masterkeeler 7/16ID 5/8 OD
http://www.petrastechshop.com/7id5odmagepu.html (1/2) barbs required*
*pump D-5vario (i linked, or a 355)
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcin12pu.html
*Reservoir Swiftech-Micro Res
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcmirere.html
As for coolant go with plain distilled water and possibly some coloured tubing, as some dye can really stain your tubing, LOW Cfm fans for the XSPC rad, if i missed anything pm me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, the thing is that I bought those parts with money I had saved over some time and now I will be able to only really do one or two things before I really need to save up for uni, so, in reality this could be it for the next 2 years, which will honestly be really dissapointing as this is pretty much the only hobby i have found that i really enjoy. I am really leaning towards the water though, plus, it will be more enjoyable to experience than getting another graphics card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monst3r View Post
well heres something which should give you a fair idea what to start with..
Id personally go with something like this
*CPU block- swiftech apogee XT (personal vote goes to heatkiller 3.0 tho)
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swapxtcpuwa1.html
*Rad XPSX RX360 or a Swiftech MCR-220 Rad
http://www.petrastechshop.com/xsrxtr12ra.html
*tubing Masterkeeler 7/16ID 5/8 OD
http://www.petrastechshop.com/7id5odmagepu.html (1/2) barbs required*
*pump D-5vario (i linked, or a 355)
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcin12pu.html
*Reservoir Swiftech-Micro Res
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcmirere.html
As for coolant go with plain distilled water and possibly some coloured tubing, as some dye can really stain your tubing, LOW Cfm fans for the XSPC rad, if i missed anything pm me
Thanks for those, I am gonna have a look right now to see what i can source easily over here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I may be sticking with the single 5870 and going under water, unless i can get some extra work over the summer in addition to my current job, then i might get both before i start saving for the rest of the year.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,552 Posts
Im on high end air right now but if my case allowed for it, i'd probably go to WC. (what i voted)

Given that limitation my next upgrade will probably be a SSD, have thought about those in an upgrade. SSD's are like the new "ram" for most noticible upgrade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Water cool it dude! that 5870 is gonna do ya for the next 2 years at least. Think of the fun you could have cooling that beast of a rig you got!! Sort those temp troubles out!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezygroove View Post
Water cool it dude! that 5870 is gonna do ya for the next 2 years at least. Think of the fun you could have cooling that beast of a rig you got!! Sort those temp troubles out!!

I really think I am going to go down this path... once i get the money of course... and considering there really isn't anything that this card struggles with... can you say Crysis: WH maxed with 2xAA??
... I guess i really should be set for a while in that department
So i might go down the WC route... especially considering that summer is comming on fast over here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DirektEffekt View Post
I really think I am going to go down this path... once i get the money of course... and considering there really isn't anything that this card struggles with... can you say Crysis: WH maxed with 2xAA??
... I guess i really should be set for a while in that department
So i might go down the WC route... especially considering that summer is comming on fast over here.
Plenty of room in that 1200 aswell, Good luck dude
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honestly, I would really love to go with water but there is still a little nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that its not going to add performance like a second 5870 will... but on the other hand i wouldnt really use that second 5870... it's just really daunting thinking that this could be my last major upgrade for years, I really dont know which to do lol

Edit: As a hypothetical, if I DID water cool, what kind of setup would I be looking at to cool my i7 as well as my 5870 and possibly a second down the line?
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top