Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are my options? I have an entire terabyte of data (all of my music, videos, photos) on the drive as it was my storage drive.

One day Windows wouldn't boot and the drive was clicking. I removed it and was able to boot. If I hook the drive up after Windows has started, it will find a few of the partitions and let me navigate a little. If I try to actually copy files, Windows Explorer effectively crashes.

I need this data. What can I do to get it back? Has anyone used any of these data recovery services where you send them the drive? If so, how expensive are they?

Can I hold Western Digital responsible for this? The drive is less than a year old.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
You can send it to a data recovery centre.

No, you can't hold WD responsible.

Performing backups to ensure that you don't lose critical data is your responsibility, not WD's.

The MTBF measures an average lifetime for drives but some die early and some live on.

It's just like how some of us can live up to a really old age whereas others cannot.

Contact WD and see what they can do about it.

Enquire if they can provide a data recovery service - otherwise you're on your own.

EDIT: TL;DR, WD is only responsible for providing you with a proper, working replacement drive as I believe 1 year is still under warranty.
As for data lost, no.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxbassplayerxx View Post
What are my options? I have an entire terabyte of data (all of my music, videos, photos) on the drive as it was my storage drive.

One day Windows wouldn't boot and the drive was clicking. I removed it and was able to boot. If I hook the drive up after Windows has started, it will find a few of the partitions and let me navigate a little. If I try to actually copy files, Windows Explorer effectively crashes.

I need this data. What can I do to get it back? Has anyone used any of these data recovery services where you send them the drive? If so, how expensive are they?

Can I hold Western Digital responsible for this? The drive is less than a year old.
believe it or not, put it in the freezer for 1 night and you should be able to recover the data....do it nice and fast though cuase this is a tempory fix only

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyone else verify the freezer thing?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

Can anyone else verify the freezer thing?
I can. It's worked more often than not when dealing with the click-of-death. Doesn't work if it's a circuit-board issue, of course.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
You'll want to have a replacement drive ready, to copy your important stuff onto if it works.

Data recovery varies. Usually $1000-$6000, I think?

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have my replacement drive already. I'll five this a go when I get back. The drive is in the freezer right now.

It obviously stops working because the drive warms back up and the metal expands. Maybe sitting it in some dice will enable it to work longer.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Quote:

I have my replacement drive already. I'll five this a go when I get back. The drive is in the freezer right now.

It obviously stops working because the drive warms back up and the metal expands. Maybe sitting it in some dice will enable it to work longer.
There was one situation where I had to run the HDD in an external dock, inside the freezer. I had the power and eSATA cable snaking from my laptop inside the freezer. It worked enough for me to get the data off. I used eSATA because it was faster than USB...

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I can't get what I need off after a few tries, I'll try that! Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts