Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I turned on my computer, and during the boot I heard a loud noise coming from the case (it sounded like a fan spinning at high speeds and it was slightly vibrating the case). In windows, I checked my temps, fan speeds, etc and everything was fine. I opened up the case and check if any of the wires got in between the blades of the fans, but everything was fine. Upon the next boot, I got a message saying something like "no bootable media found". I went into bios and it only detected my ssd (another hard drive) and dvd rom, but not my hdd which the loud noise was coming from. Again, I did check all the wires connecting to the hdd.

Does this mean my Hard Drive failed? Any thoughts?

Btw, it's a ~4 year old Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gb.

Full System Specs:
AMD Phenom 955 3.6 ghz
Corsair h50
8gb ddr3 ram
radeon 4870
zalman 64gb
asus 24x dvd rom
seagate 250gb
coolmax 600w
thermaltake v3 chassis

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
It sounds like it's dead.

Just to be sure i would try the drive in another computer. Also, try another cable.

If it's under warrenty, they will give you a new one. If it's out of warrenty, you can still send it back to the manufacturer and get like 30% off a new drive. (usually)

If the data on it was extremely valuable you can pay someone for a few hundred dollars to put the platters into a new drive.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

No actually I don't have any important data. I'm pretty sure as well that it is dead...I was planning on buying a new ssd anyway...thanks for the advice
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xerb View Post

Thanks!

No actually I don't have any important data. I'm pretty sure as well that it is dead...I was planning on buying a new ssd anyway...thanks for the advice
redface.gif
Try putting it on its side. If it's having trouble spinning up, maybe being mounted vertically rather than horizontally will help.

If not, it's still dead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts