Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm getting a hard drive for my first computer. So I was wondering a little basic info about hard drives. 1st, I do not want a RAID System so there are certain hard drives especially for RAID right? 2nd, SATA and ATA are they both just normal hard drives then can be used non RAID? Thanks for your time rep points will follow if i get some help

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeEnIke

Alright I'm getting a hard drive for my first computer. So I was wondering a little basic info about hard drives. 1st, I do not want a RAID System so there are certain hard drives especially for RAID right? 2nd, SATA and ATA are they both just normal hard drives then can be used non RAID? Thanks for your time rep points will follow if i get some help

Hi,

All ATA/SATA hard disk can be used in non-raid config. With Serial ATA (SATA) you will need a special SATA controller that comes on newer motherboards or can be purchased for around £10-£15.

When purchasing a hard disk, you are looking for RPM (higher = better), Seek Time (Lower = Better), and Interface (UDMA100/133/150 - Higher = better)

Hope that helps!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:

The motherboard in your profile supports SATA. They are no special RAID HDD, all you need it two of the same drive for RAID 0. Any HDD can be used by its self or in a RAID.

I would go with a SATA HHD as it will give you a slight performance increase (1-2%).

·
Banned
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BSman

The motherboard in your profile supports SATA. They are no special RAID HDD, all you need it two of the same drive for RAID 0. Any HDD can be used by its self or in a RAID.

I would go with a SATA HHD as it will give you a slight performance increase (1-2%).

IT doesn't support SATA under the thing it says n/a next to Serial ATA.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:

IT doesn't support SATA under the thing it says n/a next to Serial ATA.

Sorry, my bad. I did a quick search on the internet and I looked at the Deluxe model. Mext time I'll be more carefull. Hope my other advice help.

·
Banned
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BSman

Sorry, my bad. I did a quick search on the internet and I looked at the Deluxe model. Mext time I'll be more carefull. Hope my other advice help.

haha yea thanks im to cheap for the deluxe but yea thanks

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
yep you can always buy a Serial ATA controller...google for it, and hook up any serial ata hard drive to it... you will get an increase in performance from the increased transmit speeds...
Quote:

haha yea thanks im to cheap for the deluxe but yea thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

yep you can always buy a Serial ATA controller...google for it, and hook up any serial ata hard drive to it... you will get an increase in performance from the increased transmit speeds...

Actually using a serial ATA controller will DECREASE performace, because you are forcing the card to share the bandwidth needed for the hard drive with the rest of the PCI bus. Only use this method if you are thinking about upgrading to a new motherboard with onboard SATA controller otherwise, stick to PATA. 1% performace increase is insignificant.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

Actually using a serial ATA controller will DECREASE performace, because you are forcing the card to share the bandwidth needed for the hard drive with the rest of the PCI bus. Only use this method if you are thinking about upgrading to a new motherboard with onboard SATA controller otherwise, stick to PATA. 1% performace increase is insignificant.

I thought onboard SATA went through the PCI bus anyway?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts