Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together my new system with new mobo, power supply, and dvd writer. Now that ive started everything up, my hard drive is especially loud. Istead or starting up and making a slight hum, it does that but keeps on going getting what sounds like faster and faster. After about a second it stops but its sounds like its going much faster than it was before, whirring away like mad. What could this be?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silum

I just put together my new system with new mobo, power supply, and dvd writer. Now that ive started everything up, my hard drive is especially loud. Istead or starting up and making a slight hum, it does that but keeps on going getting what sounds like faster and faster. After about a second it stops but its sounds like its going much faster than it was before, whirring away like mad. What could this be?

What kind of drive is it? RPMs?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Most likely it is your 7200 RPM 80Gb SATA HDD, the higher the RPMs the more noise. If you want to hear a HDD firing up try a 1000RPM SATA or SCSI HDD>

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nope, reg old ide 7200. It aint normal, ive had it plugged in before and it sounds normal, now its like some beast running on nitrous!!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

nope, reg old ide 7200. It aint normal, ive had it plugged in before and it sounds normal, now its like some beast running on nitrous!!

That may mean that your HDD may have become partially demagnetized, if this is the case then you are scratching the cyinders and you HDD is basically already dead.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

That may mean that your HDD may have become partially demagnetized, if this is the case then you are scratching the cyinders and you HDD is basically already dead.

well its still running fine, just as fast as normal and its the drive with windows on too, wierd

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

well its still running fine, just as fast as normal and its the drive with windows on too, wierd

I've enperienced the scratching of HDDs before, they effect are not immediately seem because you are not accessing the scratched cylinder, I would recommend running scandisk to look for bad sectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts