Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to open a file on my local disk 3 which is a my drive for STEAM games only and it didn't respond so I rebooted my pc. I got a PRIMARY DISK ERROR on start up and once I booted up my LOCAL disk 3 isint showing up in my compute but is showing up in device manager and in COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. Its aslo shwoing up in BIOS.

I did to a mild OC a few weeks back did it cause this, help.

When I try to initialize the disk I get I/O decide error.

PICTURE OF BOOT
http://img593.imageshack.us/i/imag0150h.jpg/

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I rebooted and DISKCHK came on and it did a scan on the drive that was not working now its back on. I had problems of DISKCHK running at startup alot, is this a problem and how can i fix it so my drive doesn't disappear again?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
diskchk runs on its own if you dont shut down the computer properly, make sure to shut down properly so the HDD doesnt act up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i should hit log off then shut down or shut down? did a my OCing impact the drive? Should I run a manual DSKCHECK?

·
Registered
308 Posts
So currently you just hit the power button off whenever you feel like it? If so thats what is causing the problem. I would doubt your OC did that. Possible but not likely.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No lol. I hit shut down in the start menu. I was asking if is better to log off and then click shut down. My drive is showing up now but I want to kno the source of the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
There is no difference between logging off then shutting down or just shutting down for your purposes. What I suggest is running GSmartControl to see if the drive is failing. Once you finish that and are sure the drive is in proper working order do the following.

Open up an Elevated Command Prompt (re: Run As Administrator), type in sfc /scannow, then hit enter. This should take about 10 to 20 minutes depending on what it finds. After that finishes open up another Elevated Command Prompt and type in chkdsk /r and hit enter. You will be prompted that it can't run now and do you want to run it the next time the system boots. Type in Y, hit enter, then reboot the computer and let it run. Depending on the size of the OS partition and how many problems it finds and needs to fix this could take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more as it is very thorough.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karol3
View Post

i ran the GSMSART control scan and I got COMPLETED WITH READ FAILURE, what do i do now?

Copy and paste the SMART data?

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
That means the drive is more than likely failing. You need to backup the data off of it as soon as possible (as in today). Once you have it backed up you can try doing a FULL Zero Fill of the drive, then a long (or full) format, then run GSmartControl to see if it was just file corruption, but I doubt that will be the case. You'll probably need to replace the drive. If it's still under warranty I would see about an RMA, otherwise you'll just need to purchase a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts