Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been running SISandra 2005 and it has said that I could improve the performance of my Hard Drive. The 2 things it has said are:

Warning W3103 - Acoustic Management enabled. While this reduces the noise the drive generates, the performance is almost always impaired. Most of the time fans generate more noise than the drive itself. If the drive does generate a lot of noise, it may be faulty. You could also consider swapping the drive for another model that generates less noise.
Fix: You may need to use a specific utility for the drive downloadable from the manufacturer’s website to enable or disable these settings.

Warning W3104 - Current transfer mode not optimal, i.e. not highest supported. This affects drive performance. If the controller is also capable of the highest supported transfer mode, there is no reason not to use it.
Fix: First check controller supported transfer modes. Then check the mode the driver for the controller/BIOS is set to use and modify; some default to a lower mode for compatibility. You may need to install newer drivers if the current drivers do not natively support the controller (especially for RAID). You may need to update the controller BIOS or drive firmware, if the mode does not stick. If data corruption occurs verify the cable and consider switching (if any) drives on the same channel onto other channels.
If the built-in controller does not support the mode, consider using the on-board/RAID controller or even disable the built-in controller and install a new controller

The drive is currently running at UDMA5 even though its does support UDMA6?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sandra Allways says bull**** man, its good, but you will never comply whit all, for some weird reason!!!, so dont bother too much!!!

For years I have been using it, LOL, and allways I have "problem" lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg

I have just been running SISandra 2005 and it has said that I could improve the performance of my Hard Drive. The 2 things it has said are:

Warning W3103 - Acoustic Management enabled. While this reduces the noise the drive generates, the performance is almost always impaired. Most of the time fans generate more noise than the drive itself. If the drive does generate a lot of noise, it may be faulty. You could also consider swapping the drive for another model that generates less noise.
Fix: You may need to use a specific utility for the drive downloadable from the manufacturer’s website to enable or disable these settings.

Warning W3104 - Current transfer mode not optimal, i.e. not highest supported. This affects drive performance. If the controller is also capable of the highest supported transfer mode, there is no reason not to use it.
Fix: First check controller supported transfer modes. Then check the mode the driver for the controller/BIOS is set to use and modify; some default to a lower mode for compatibility. You may need to install newer drivers if the current drivers do not natively support the controller (especially for RAID). You may need to update the controller BIOS or drive firmware, if the mode does not stick. If data corruption occurs verify the cable and consider switching (if any) drives on the same channel onto other channels.
If the built-in controller does not support the mode, consider using the on-board/RAID controller or even disable the built-in controller and install a new controller

The drive is currently running at UDMA5 even though its does support UDMA6?

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
What hard disk have you got? There is a tool for Maxtor drives that can turn off acoustic managment and improve disk performance.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

What hard disk have you got? There is a tool for Maxtor drives that can turn off acoustic managment and improve disk performance.

LOL thank god. I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9. Could you give me some info about the tool. If I was to turn off acoustic management would it also cool the HD down better as well as a performance jump?

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
???? Can't anyone help.

Also in the BIOS 32-bit drive access is disabled, should I enable it, and what will it do?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Sorry for not checking on this thread...i might have the Util on a floppy...i'll check and get back to ya

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Here we go...

For some people it works in windows, but i found i had to boot from a dos bootdisk and run it from there.
Thanks a lot il run it a bit later. I think il go for fast however as it seems to be quite good and efficient.

Do you know anything about 32-bit drive access? It is not enabled on my Hard drive, would this do something to the performance?

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This hard drive is going as slow as my old 5400rpm drive!!!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME TO SORT IT OUT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts