Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I downloaded a torrent and I think it had a virus in it. Shortly after I opened it my computer started to get real slow. I restarted it and my hard drive would not boot. So I used my secondary hd to boot into windows and try and recover my data but I cant even boot into windows. Its stuck on the windows load screen, Im guessing its trying to load the dead drive. Then I try to boot into safe mode and it just takes me to a black screen with the mouse pointer on it. I last night I ran some kind of diagnostic on it where it went threw all the drives 166,437 files and it did not fix the problem.
How can I get my data off this disk with out haveing to use money.

Do you think it was a virus or just bad timing for my disk drive to fail? I just got the disk in a rma in November.

Is their a program that can recover my data or hard drive with out booting into windows

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
The first thing you have to do is get rid of the virus, though it's probably a trojan.

Disconnect fron the interwebs. Remove your HDD(s). Install a known good, clean HDD. Install Windows. Put the other drive(s) back in, but be SURE they are not listed in the BIOS as boot drives. Do NOT access the bad drive(s) nor any programs or data on them. Install the AV of your choice onto the good HDD If you don't have one, download it using another compute) . Scan everything. If nothing is found, try a different AV program until you can get rid of the problem.

Be aware, that a trojan will install a virus, just removing the virus won't help, the trojan will just reinstall it..

"How can I get my data off this disk " if by "data" you mean programs, you can't.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts