Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm making alot of threads lately, but they are independent of each other (sort of).

Anyway, this has never happened until I installed my SSD.

I'm sitting on the desktop with a FRESH install of Win7 Ultimate, and If I go to access D:/ which is the 250gb HDD, it spins up, seeks, then spins back down.

Then I click a folder, and the process repeats itself.

I can get this to go away by installing the AMD AHCI drivers, but then my drive goes to about 5MB/s read and I don't know why. Please HELP!!!!

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by imadude10
View Post

I know I'm making alot of threads lately, but they are independent of each other (sort of).

Anyway, this has never happened until I installed my SSD.

I'm sitting on the desktop with a FRESH install of Win7 Ultimate, and If I go to access D:/ which is the 250gb HDD, it spins up, seeks, then spins back down.

Then I click a folder, and the process repeats itself.

I can get this to go away by installing the AMD AHCI drivers, but then my drive goes to about 5MB/s read and I don't know why. Please HELP!!!!

well when clicking on crap it has to look for the data.

it sounds like your hdd is really fragmented. try defragging.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean the hard drive is turning off, as in not spinning anymore. This is a fresh install of Win7 on my SSD and Blank NTFS partition with some dummy folders on the HDD.

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by imadude10
View Post

I mean the hard drive is turning off, as in not spinning anymore. This is a fresh install of Win7 on my SSD and Blank NTFS partition with some dummy folders on the HDD.

yeah its supposed to not spin when its idling. or am i wrong here?

its strange that its searching even when double clicking a file. check and see if any hdd's are fragmented.

it could be on its last legs, but we'll conclude thats the case later.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not fragmented, and I can confirm it works fine. I stuck it in my bro's computer about 30 minutes ago and it worked great.

This never happened until I installed my SSD. Perhaps it has something to do with that?

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
What's your Windows 7 power management scheme set to?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Windows is set to never turn off hard drives. Is it because my HDD does not support AHCI? It is an old drive that does not support NCQ.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
I've just got an SSD + 1TB Samsung F3 and my HDD spins down aswell when its not being used. Not too much of a problem though considering I have quite a few programs on there that are being used a lot of the time.

Edit: Update on that - my HDD did the same as yours but now has about 30000 read errors according to the SMART info...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts