Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hard drive temps are 41C-43C is this high or average? I have a 200GB Maxtor 7200rpm 16MB Cache Hard drive

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
I have been curius to find my hd temps for a while now. what program could i dl to show me?

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg

My hard drive temps are 41C-43C is this high or average? I have a 200GB Maxtor 7200rpm 16MB Cache Hard drive

Starting to get high but still ok. Above 50C and you can expect a quick death for your hard drive. Below that the cooler the drive, the longer they tend to last. You should be ok at 43C, but if you could aim a fan over the drive you're increasing your chances of long term reliability.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by briank

Starting to get high but still ok. Above 50C and you can expect a quick death for your hard drive. Below that the cooler the drive, the longer they tend to last. You should be ok at 43C, but if you could aim a fan over the drive you're increasing your chances of long term reliability.

My hard drive sits around 24-27C idle (netsurfing) and aroud 31-34C load.

I dont know what the threshold is.... just adding more temps for reference.

·
Administrator
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

My hard drive sits around 24-27C idle (netsurfing) and aroud 31-34C load.

I dont know what the threshold is.... just adding more temps for reference.

Just been re-checking the temps now. They are down to 31C, maybe it was just hotter yesterday for some reason.

·
Registered
179 Posts
oops reading this makes me worried, as Everest gives my HD a 51C temp ?
so i guess its bit on the high side ?

·
Premium Member
29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoAnderson
View Post

oops reading this makes me worried, as Everest gives my HD a 51C temp ?
so i guess its bit on the high side ?

It's an old thread, but 51c is too high. I wouldn't ever want to run a harddrive above 45c... and that's pushing it.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
That is a little high bet it gets close to 50c on access.

Open your side case panel or your drives are going to die a silent death quicker then they should. gl,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts