Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if i have a computer with a amd k6-2 processer and 64 mb of ram and a 5400 rpm hard drive with 256k buffer how much difference it would make on computer speed if i put a 10000 rpm hard drive with 8 mb buffer. I'm planning on changing the motherboard and processer too, but i was going to start with the hard drive.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronb

I was wondering if i have a computer with a amd k6-2 processer and 64 mb of ram and a 5400 rpm hard drive with 256k buffer how much difference it would make on computer speed if i put a 10000 rpm hard drive with 8 mb buffer. I'm planning on changing the motherboard and processer too, but i was going to start with the hard drive.

The HDD will be louder, but have a much faster recovery and loading time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Also i would like to know if i bought a sata drive if it would work with the old motherboard until i got a new one

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Also i would like to know if i bought a sata drive if it would work with the old motherboard until i got a new one

If the mobo does not have the connectors you can get a PCI to SATA interface card and rig SATAs on your system.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
And since its a K6-2 odds are 1:1000000 that it has one SATA connector, yet you could buy a PCI Sata card.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
You also have to take in to consideration if your mobo supports ATA 133 or 100 for even a 7200 rpm drive with 8mb buffer. With just that speed you would see a difference. To get a 10000rpm hard drive you'd need to buy a SCSI controller and then you would see a difference. Im not sure if you can buy a PCI SATA controller or not. :edit:Ok so maybe you can.

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
In an old system like that with not much memory, a 10K rpm hard drive will make a big difference. If you have an operating system that pages a lot of stuff, having that fast hard drive will really help.

PCI SATA controllers are pretty cheap. I actually have an unopened one I'd sell pretty cheap if you're interested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts