Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea what going on with my rig but every other time I restart it seems to add 16g to both hard drives??

Its also no maintaining stability so I'm thinking the mobo or the CPU is freaking out!

Any Ideas??

My C: drive is a Mushkin 120g SSD and my F: drive is a WD 1.5 tb

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just redid the title, it seems they both gain 16 gigs with every other restart?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdog View Post

I just redid the title, it seems they both gain 16 gigs with every other restart?
Yep, I just caught that, is your system crashing? Leaving memory dumps? You should be able to see them in the root of the drive(s) but you might have to enable hidden files in explorer....

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea but when it crashes the dump only gets to 5 or 10 and freezes

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXXon View Post

Do you have 16GB of system Ram? If so, you'll need to turn off Hibernation using the 'powercfg -h off' command line in CMD.

As for the instability, are OC'ed?
Yes I do but its not OCed, I ran memtest over night and it was fine.

I just got this mobo and CPU used from members of this site and its been giving me grief since I assembled it,

hence the name "Problem Child"

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Quote:

I just got this mobo and CPU used from members of this site and its been giving me grief since I assembled it,

Download BlueScreenView, run it and post the screen shot.

We'll have to do some troubleshooting to figure out the crashes, but I have to ask, have you done a fresh installation with the new mobo/CPU ?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXXon View Post

Quote:

Download BlueScreenView, run it and post the screen shot.

We'll have to do some troubleshooting to figure out the crashes, but I have to ask, have you done a fresh installation with the new mobo/CPU ?
No I didnt, I just reinstalled the drives from my old system after deleting the chipset drivers, I'm guessing thats a no no!

Blue Screen view is blank

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Quote:

No I didnt, I just reinstalled the drives from my old system after deleting the chipset drivers, I'm guessing thats a no no!

Blue Screen view is blank
Yap, you'll need to do a completely fresh installation of your OS and drivers.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crap!!...
frown.gif

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, I have always done it before when I built a new rig but I have a lot of info this time and have never had to try and back up everything for a transfer..
:o

Any suggestions/tips/tricks on how to go about it? or should I just use windows backup to an external?

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Crap!!...
frown.gif

I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that, I have always done it before when I built a new rig but I have a lot of info this time and have never had to try and back up everything for a transfer..
redface.gif

Any suggestions on how to go about it?
Move whatever files you need to the 1TB drive. Disconnect it (leaving only the SSD connected) and start the OS installation.

When it asks for which drive to install the OS on, delete the SSD partition and recreate it. Then proceed as normal.

Once done, install chipset drivers, Intel drivers, then connect the HDD and continue with the other drivers (GPU, Sound, LAN..etc).

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like FUN... Thanks!!

• Rep+
Reactions: gsa700

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Sounds like FUN... Thanks!!
I know it seems like a PITA, but it beats getting random lockups and BSODs.

If you really don't want to do the fresh OS route, you could boot into safe mode and uninstall every driver you could find.
But it's not guaranteed to make the BSODs disappear.

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Um...OP maybe I'm doing math wrong but it seemed that when your SSD gained 16GBs your HDD lost 16GB (not both gaining). Also, you never mentioned if you disabled hibernate file. If you hadn't then I'd put that as an additional thing to consider.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I agree the fresh install is always best, you'll be back up in no time.....

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems to be working much better now
:wheee:

What a flippin P.I.T.A. it was, thanks for everyone's help...
:D

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Quote:

Seems to be working much better now
wheee.gif

What a flippin P.I.T.A. it was, thanks for everyone's help...
biggrin.gif
Glad you got it sorted out. It's a good feeling when your rig becomes stable after random lockups.

Congratz and enjoy
cheers.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts