Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
what kind of HDD's, SATA or ATA? There are a bunch of combos you could work with. Depending on your OC, if you have one, you could have 4 SATA drives hooked up. Tho OC's have been known to cause instability issues with slots 1 and 2. You can have 4 ATA HDD's, but that removes your ability to have optical drives. I think you can combine SATA and ATA drives, 1-2 or 3 ATA's and up to 4 SATA. But you wouldn't have room in your case for all of those. Which brings me to adding external HDD's using USB ports, in which you could have more memory than you could ever use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info
i think the USB is the way i will go i was thinking of it anyway

what about 3 CD ROMs internal

and info on that
thanks

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
u can put as many harddrives/cdrom drives in as your mobo supports....see how many ata ports there are and how many sata ports too. usb harddrives just are not as fast as normal internals, and alot more space effeicent

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You will probably have 2 ATA slots on you mobo, each one will support 2 drives, total of 4, doesn't matter if they are HDD's or optical (CD-ROM). You will need the 80 pin cables with 2 connectors on them. One CD drive will have to be jumpered to master, the second on that same cable will have to be jumpered to a slave. On the second cable depending on what you have on there, will be the main HDD (jumpered as master) and the third CDROM (jumpered as slave.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

You will probably have 2 ATA slots on you mobo, each one will support 2 drives, total of 4, doesn't matter if they are HDD's or optical (CD-ROM). You will need the 80 pin cables with 2 connectors on them. One CD drive will have to be jumpered to master, the second on that same cable will have to be jumpered to a slave. On the second cable depending on what you have on there, will be the main HDD (jumpered as master) and the third CDROM (jumpered as slave.)

Are ypou talking about having ond hard drive as master and a CD ROM as a slave .

My Goal is to have Double DVD Burned and a dvd player so i can burn at the same time

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

u can put as many harddrives/cdrom drives in as your mobo supports....see how many ata ports there are and how many sata ports too. usb harddrives just are not as fast as normal internals, and alot more space effeicent

ATA Ports ? the slot on the mobo correct SATA ATA what is the difference ?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Well, you could have the DVD player and the burner on one cable, with one being the master and the other the slave. And then your primary internal HDD and either another HDD or a CD RW or CDROM on the other cable, with the primary HDD being the master and whatever else being the slave.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
u cant burn 2 dvds at a time if that what your trying to do without special software....or if u make it work right the files on the cds will be currupted and unreadable.....also u need a really fast processor for multiples. but for best performance, u want 1 harddrive on each channel, and then a cd/dvd rom drive on each as the slaves. then u can use both HDs at once and burn a dvd in realtime instead of having to make a disk image

edit: dang u beat me lol!!!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by horspowr89

ATA Ports ? the slot on the mobo correct SATA ATA what is the difference ?

SATA are 1/2 inch slots on your mobo, look in your manual to find out exactly where, if you have them. ATA is the standard 2 inch slots on your mobo that your CD-ROM and most likely your HDD is connected to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

SATA are 1/2 inch slots on your mobo, look in your manual to find out exactly where, if you have them. ATA is the standard 2 inch slots on your mobo that your CD-ROM and most likely your HDD is connected to.

OK i dont see and 1/2 " slots

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

OK i dont see and 1/2 " slots

they might not look the same....these can be either black/red and look the sixe of a usb plug but inverted so the middle sticks out kinda...lol problt if u dont have a drive hooked to 1, then u probly dont have it.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
hold a bit, I'll find a pic

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

they might not look the same....these can be either black/red and look the sixe of a usb plug but inverted so the middle sticks out kinda...lol problt if u dont have a drive hooked to 1, then u probly dont have it.

i guess i dont have any 1/2 slots

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
This is a mobo, not necessarily yours, but the idea is the same. They're usually somewhere on the lower right half. Check out the pic.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

This is a mobo, not necessarily yours, but the idea is the same. They're usually somewhere on the lower right half. Check out the pic.

nice little drawing lol

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Cool so from the SATA pord i can have other hard drive or CD/DVD/CDWR or some thing of that sort

yup, 2 harddrives or 2 cd drives, 1 of each...whatever u want

1 - 20 of 27 Posts