1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

Quote:
Introduction

This video card is exciting for AMD and it is exciting for gamers. We are talking about the new ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 video card that puts two R670 GPUs onto one PCB and runs them transparently in a CrossFire configuration.

Before we dive into specifications let's go back and summarize what the Radeon HD 3870 is. The Radeon HD 3800 series was launched on November 15th, 2007, a short two months ago. In the HD 3000 series AMD launched the ATI Radeon HD 3850 and 3870. In our evaluation back in November we found both video cards to offer exceptional gaming performance for their price points. The Radeon HD 3850 was a heck of a surprise, offering the best performance under $200 we have seen yet. The Radeon HD 3870 was a huge power efficiency upgrade from the Radeon HD 2900 XT and offered solid performance in its price range.

The Radeon HD 3870 uses a 55nm manufacturing process, which allows it to achieve high clock speeds and low power utilization. It is a huge improvement over the Radeon HD 2900 XT. The Radeon HD 3870 has 320 stream processors, 16 ROPs and is clocked at 775 MHz. It has 512MB of 256-bit 2.25 GHz GDDR4 alongside with PCIe Gen2 support and DirectX 10.1 support. Go ahead and look over the specifications on this page and you can compare them with the 3870 X2 below.
This is dissapointing for AMD. With the GTX dipping down into the 350 dollar realm and this card in the 450 dollar realm, I will still take the aging GTX any day but that is a matter of personal preference. I hope that more mature drivers make this card a contender because you can SLI 8800GT's and annihilate this dual GPU setup...for about the same price!

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
71 Views and no response?? This was a reputable site with reputable numbers...everyone sad or something that the ATI card cannot compete? Trust me I wish they could so it would force the tech along a little faster but ATI must not be content with this "catch up" game. Settling for a dual core GPU that can barely keep up with a year old GTX is sad.

POST YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I don't really understand much of this...it has to be driver related. Crossfire two 3850's, or two 3870's should be around the performance of the X2.

edit: what I mean to say, is that the X2 should perform around the same as crossfired 3850's, or 3870's. Closer to the 50's I imagine.

·
15,777 Posts
Finally a post with 3870 against the REAL 8800 card and not the OC 8800 (ULTRA). True more than one year after the single card market have hard facing this brute when it comes to power...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wow that is hilarious...A new Dual card solution from ATI, who has only one real competitor to try to beat, and their new technology gets beat out by a single 1st generation 8800 gtx. I wonder in what phase in the game did they realize that a year (or so) 8800gtx beats their new "flagship" product.

AMD and ATI Better have SOMETHING UP THEIR SLEVE or their company may be getting the flush down the defeat pipeline pretty soon :/ These guys have been consistantly outperformed and spanked boy Intel/Nvidia for too long now. How are we going to even think about having a good stable market for computers when the only other video card manufacturer can't even get close to releasing products that put any kind of pressure on Nvidia what so ever.

/rant off

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Just wait for the new 1.3 drivers that come out on Wednesday. Hopefully we will see some major improvements like we did on the 2900's

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
The ATI cards doesn't have drivers out yet, so this is not really a valid comparison

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
Tom's Hardware shows results that put the X2 above the 8800 Ultra, so it depends upon who you trust.
expreview put crossfire ahead of SLI...EVERY single other site on the net said exactly opposite. There is always an anomoly
Ive been reading [H] for probably 7 years or so. Ill take their word on it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Considering all the reviews so far have used effectively 3870 drivers these comparisons are pointless. Once the 1.3's are out then a review might be meaningfull but at the moment the true capability of the 3870x2 is not been shown.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [NuC] R4v3N View Post
expreview put crossfire ahead of SLI...EVERY single other site on the net said exactly opposite. There is always an anomoly
Ive been reading [H] for probably 7 years or so. Ill take their word on it.
I have more confidence in THG than HardOCP, especially since I seem to recall HardOCP being on the dealing end of some rumors with regards to the HD 2900XT, which caused it to flop due to ridiculous expectations.

Edit: It appears this time that HardOCP is your anomaly. Other review sites are putting the 3870X2 above the GTX as well besides THG.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Well the fact is they are not using proper drivers for the card and it is still even if not beating the GTX. I have high hopes for this card, wait till proper drivers come out.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I expected to 3870x2 to beat ONE gtx but this is just insane. How does ATI come out with their stuff soo much later and still lose. I mean the x2 is barely above one old gtx card. That is pathetic. I feel sorry for amd/ati when nvidia brings their x2 card out and especially when the g100 or whatever is next comes. Anyone that wants to call me a fanboy can have at it. I was a fan of the 9800pro series and used to have an athlonx2 for a long time. AMD and ATI are just f'n up bad lately. Theres no other way to say it.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Strange that every other review says the 3870 X2 wins, not the 8800 GTX. And i do mean every other review. I have not seen a single one where the 3870 X2 loses to the 8800 GTX, or Ultra. Other then this of course.

·
Banned
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645 View Post
I have more confidence in THG than HardOCP, especially since I seem to recall HardOCP being on the dealing end of some rumors with regards to the HD 2900XT, which caused it to flop due to ridiculous expectations.

Edit: It appears this time that HardOCP is your anomaly. Other review sites are putting the 3870X2 above the GTX as well besides THG.
Thats funny considering the 2900XT was an absolute flop. DX10 Support = FAIL. Crossfire support in games = FAIL. Drivers = FAIL. They just tell it like it is. I dont live and die by them but when it comes to saying what people dont want to hear, aka "Another ATI card comes up short", they dont have a problem doing it. Besides...a good driver doesnt mean that it will gain 20(threw a number out there) fps. This card should be annihilating a year old single solution but it beats it JUST BARELY.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Unless there's a complete nightmare with the drivers, they screwed the pooch on the Crysis test. I run 1920x1080 with everything at high besides water and object quality (custom on both), and very high on about half of the settings (via DX9 hack.....Crossfire doesn't work right w DX10 yet......
)
I get 35-100 FPS, with an average outdoors of 55 FPS.

This review is BS man. The COD4 numbers are FAR from correct. I don't EVER come anywhere close to 11 FPS........let alone 30 FPS. I play at a constant 90 FPS, sometimes dipping down to 35-40 FPS with a lot of dust and exposions, glass etc.

I just don't see how they got those numbers from COD4......I don't get it. They should be fairly close to mine......
I find it strange that every review I've read shows it owning everything (including the Ultra), then this one shows it barely keeping up with the 8800GTX.....?
Maybe my OCing makes that big of a difference.....I mean I'm at 90 FPS a large portion of the time when I run FRAPS in MP...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [NuC] R4v3N View Post
Thats funny considering the 2900XT was an absolute flop. DX10 Support = FAIL. Crossfire support in games = FAIL. Drivers = FAIL. They just tell it like it is. I dont live and die by them but when it comes to saying what people dont want to hear, aka "Another ATI card comes up short", they dont have a problem doing it. Besides...a good driver doesnt mean that it will gain 20(threw a number out there) fps. This card should be annihilating a year old single solution but it beats it JUST BARELY.
Well, first, i almost didn't reply because of all the "=FAIL", but I'll ignore it. So, why would you expect this to annihilate a year old card, when it's still based on the R600 core? We already know what to expect from that hardware. As for the current performance of the 3870X2, I really do think this must be a driver issue. In every review of the 3870 CF, it outperforms just about everything. Not all the time, but in the majority(maybe not Ultra's in SLI, but I don't recall that happening often). Considering the 3870X2 is almost like a 3870, it should give similar results, being that it doesn't, it's most likely a driver issue...or the card was terribly engineered.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
Well, first, i almost didn't reply because of all the "=FAIL", but I'll ignore it. So, why would you expect this to annihilate a year old card, when it's still based on the R600 core? We already know what to expect from that hardware. As for the current performance of the 3870X2, I really do think this must be a driver issue. In every review of the 3870 CF, it outperforms just about everything. Not all the time, but in the majority(maybe not Ultra's in SLI, but I don't recall that happening often). Considering the 3870X2 is almost like a 3870, it should give similar results, being that it doesn't, it's most likely a driver issue...or the card was terribly engineered.
Like i said this is the only review i have seen saying the GTX is faster, to me it looks like the review is a bunch of bias.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts