Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gamasutra is reporting that Atomontage Inc. is now a thing that exists, and it's core team want to create scalable, interactive 3D environments using voxels instead of polygons. Co-founder of Atomontage, Branislav Siles, has been working on this project since at least 2011, and the company claims that Atomontage coxel tech has been in R&D for over 15 years.

The statement of the tech being in R&D for over 15 years is believable. This isn't the first time that a company has come up trying to bring voxels to the forefront. Back in 2011 we had an exclusive interview with Euclideon, a small company based in Brisbane Australia attempting to do the same thing with its Unlimited Detail Technology. Thanks to @cageymaru for the story.

"Running our software, common computers can now process enough voxels to make their traditionally blocky appearance almost vanish, while still being fast enough for VR and AR. We have been able to break through long-standing technical barriers to create more richly detailed simulations at a scale and resolution way beyond what’s previously been thought possible."

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/04/10/atomotage_working_to_replace_polygons_voxels

Anyone remembers Comanche 3?

Nostalgia there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, this Atomatage thing has been around FOREVER and it's never going to actually amount to anything tangible. It's even less likely to be released than Star Citizen.

·
Overclocker
11,635 Posts
Voxels are nice, problem is current GPUs are stuck in the old ways unless you use their compute performance to what ever you want just like you can a CPU, that leaves parts of the GPU quite unused. Maybe there will be a shift in GPUs in the next decade to finally improve and change how rendering and scene processing is done.
These companies can try but will be stuck with CPU or compute till then.

Pascal has a "voxel" demo no idea how much Pascal can do with voxels though.

·
404 Title Not Found
2,326 Posts
Looks neat, but so many other things have as well. This made me think of Project Offset for some reason, unbelievably it's been 12 years. Still upset that Intel ruined what could have been with that engine/game.

·
Null
6,328 Posts
Yes, this Atomatage thing has been around FOREVER and it's never going to actually amount to anything tangible. It's even less likely to be released than Star Citizen.
What are you talking about? Atomontage had a working engine nearly a decade ago made by some slavic fellow. You must be thinking of that australian guy who kept hyping with little to show.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Commanche 3! a game i bought as a 12 year old with my paper run money and never really played, still rue that decision, on the same day a friend bought diablo and i came away with commanche 3......

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,756 Posts
Looks like old 3D models up close. They'll have to fix that aspect if they want it to take off.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
What are you talking about? Atomontage had a working engine nearly a decade ago made by some slavic fellow. You must be thinking of that australian guy who kept hyping with little to show.
That'd be Bruce Dell - Euclidean Ultimate Detail Engine. And it is only good for scanning photographs and creating scenes that cannot be interactive. There's no "physics". And it is too hard to programme for physics interactions in an "unlimited detail" environment.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I too played Comanche 3 as a youngster. With the PC I had at the time(was too young to know what hardware was in it)it was practically a slideshow but I still loved it.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
Looks neat, but so many other things have as well. This made me think of Project Offset for some reason, unbelievably it's been 12 years. Still upset that Intel ruined what could have been with that engine/game.
I swear I was the only one that knew about the crap Intel pulled with that dev team. They could have at least let the dev team go back to being solo and have their project back but noooooooooooooooooooo, Intel failed miserably and they had to take the studio down with them. Twats.

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
Wow...yes. I played A LOT of Comanche 3.

Also was a big fan of all the old Novalogic shooters and flight sims. Delta Force!

·
Registered
39 Posts
really incredible stuff, I would love to see a game with fully destructive environments with this technology

1 - 17 of 17 Posts