Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The Cybot Age could soon be upon us. But be not afraid; this isn't Star Trek. We're not talking droves of evil cyborgs bent on galaxy domination.

If all goes as planned, in just a few years colonies of software robots -- "cybots" -- linked into a "hive" mind could be defending the largest computer systems in America against network intruders.

Researchers at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory say the program behind the cybots â€" Ubiquitous Transient Autonomous Mission Entities (UNTAME) â€" will be very different from current cybersecurity systems.
[H] Source

Article

This is extremely cool! but ever part of this article sounds like a bad idea...right down to the acronym!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I dont beleive this software would be.. Sentient, or AI. It would work within the restrictions its programmed into.. lol

And movies are just that, movies.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
And in 2009....Skynet was conceived....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach 5 View Post
And in 2009....Skynet was conceived....
Sorry, I was busy there. You were yelling something Mr. Connor?

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
this is kind of old news...
Feb 19, 2009
http://gcn.com/articles/2009/02/23/o...es-cybots.aspx

i think its a great concept with a huge future. once you design an AI program that is able to learn, and not only that but share with similar 'entities'... well... i presume that the us gov has been working on this for a long time:

Quote:

"We think that with appropriate resources, we could have this out in two years," Trien said. "We've spent 10 years doing this."

edit: and with obama giving millions to homeland security with internet security in mind,... this program is about to get a budget increase.

goodbye job security :-/

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
This is very scary but not in a Skynet kinda way. The article said nothing about what kind of software this is, and more importantly WHERE it will be installed. Is this gonna be a true botnet, infecting thousands and millions of private users pc's? Who's to say this is just going to snoop on the badguys? If this is an extremely well connected and redundant botnet system let loose on the internet, or at least it's infrastructure, this could very well monitor everything we do. How do you tell if a pc is about to conduct cybercrime, by monitoring everything it does, that's how....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts