1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcn77 View Post

H, is still composing great reviews.
But the order in the review isnt right someone mixed some scenarios which are CPU bound on GPU bound

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
DX 12? Just let it die already, move on DX 13!!

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

How come DX12 in Rise of the Tomb Raider tells a different story ?
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif
it isnt developed fomr ground for DX12 or any low level API, it received a patch for DX12, it has nvidia biased (code and features) it doesnt really use of better CPU bound scenarios advantages on DX12.and doesnt supportt features like async shaders or explcit multiadapter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post

DX 12? Just let it die already, move on DX 13!!
if you are against w10 and DX12 benefit and you want an alternative go with Khronos/AMD´s Vulkan API

·
Registered
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

How come DX12 in Rise of the Tomb Raider tells a different story ?
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif
It boosted 8120 and phenom 960t unlocked to 6 cores performance by like 10 fps when i tested under dx12 vs dx11. It absolutely works in rise of the tomb raider.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
So, pretty clear that DX12 is primarily helping those with weaker CPUs. I was hoping for better performance on higher end systems. I hope future games can harness the power a bit better.

·
Programmer
28,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky dorkelson View Post

So, pretty clear that DX12 is primarily helping those with weaker CPUs. I was hoping for better performance on higher end systems. I hope future games can harness the power a bit better.
It will, by a good margin as long as the deleopers put the work in to build fresh DX12 applications from the ground up with key targeted optimization techniques.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

It will, by a good margin as long as the deleopers put the work in to build fresh DX12 applications from the ground up with key targeted optimization techniques.
Well, that doesn't give me much confidence based on how terrible PC games have been lately.
thumb.gif

·
Programmer
28,679 Posts
Quote:

Well, that doesn't give me much confidence based on how terrible PC games have been lately.
thumb.gif
Yes I'd have to agree, it's a concern. Money hungry Publishers and the lack of senior level developers collectivly cause much of the issues with today's applications.

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Official Luddite of OCN
5,730 Posts
Quote:

It is offering better performance on higher end systems, it's further alleviating a cpu bottleneck and putting more load on the gpu. Issue is, we don't really have the gpu power at this point (in a single gpu configuration for reliability of testing's sake) to really see how much more it's helping. When I do cpu bound testing I drop it down way below 1080p.

• Rep+
Reactions: LAKEINTEL

·
Politically incorrect
9,292 Posts
Leave it to M$py to mess up the implementation of DX XBox with their UWP drama.

·
Registered
715 Posts
if you have AMD card it also helps with performance if application use AS
wink.gif

this can be 0-20% boost (for example in AOTS)

for my system i get about 0-50% from DX12 (as my cpu is bottleneck in alot of DX11 games) in CPU limited situations

with DX12 FX-8xxx will catch up with i5-6xxx which is very good for 3 year old CPU

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

you could expect performance in crease in mgpus setups. because then there is a CPU bound scenario, aswell high end GPUs running on 1080 with fhih framerate
Quote:

thumb.gif
you can be sure DICE will release a really well DX12 based game
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneB1t View Post

if you have AMD card it also helps with performance if application use AS
wink.gif

this can be 0-20% boost (for example in AOTS)

for my system i get about 0-50% from DX12 (as my cpu is bottleneck in alot of DX11 games) in CPU limited situations

with DX12 FX-8xxx will catch up with i5-6xxx which is very good for 3 year old CPU
have you compared hitman to AotS? because computerbase shown that on hitman AMD CPUs on DX12 are closer to Intel probably because the game is less CPU demanding
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post

It is offering better performance on higher end systems, it's further alleviating a cpu bottleneck and putting more load on the gpu. Issue is, we don't really have the gpu power at this point (in a single gpu configuration for reliability of testing's sake) to really see how much more it's helping. When I do cpu bound testing I drop it down way below 1080p.
but it seemsin this testing the HD 7970 results with Underclocked CPUs were mislabelled as GPU bound

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The Industry created Low Level APIs. The Industry destroyed Low Level APIs. The industry created a Universal API. The Universal API destroys the Industry. The Universal API creates a Low Level API. The Low Level API eats the Universal API......

1 - 20 of 41 Posts