1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCE

Quote:
Highest GPU Overclock Only

This is the highest obtainable GPU-only overclock we could manage. We are only overclocking the GPU while memory is left at default.

With the fan at 100% and the Power Target at 120% we managed a top GPU offset of +230. We found that at +250 the video card locked up in games. At +230 it did not lock up. What does that result in? In the graph above you can see that the overclocked GPU clock speed starts off at a high 2113MHz, but then quickly declines to around 2080MHz. Finally after some time playing it settles to an average of 2062MHz for the remainder of gaming.

This is why it is important to test long sessions of gaming to see the final resting place for the clock speed. Keep in mind our card is on an open bench with an ambient temperature of 72F, so this is best case scenario temperature-wise.

The red line below shows you the default clock speed for comparison. The lowest clock speed of the overclock spiked down to 1873MHz very briefly, but otherwise the average new clock speed is 2062MHz versus 1770MHz average clock speed at default operation.

That is a 16% increase in clock speed while gaming. Keep in mind this is all with a 100% fan speed and Power Target at 120%. However, this is with NO voltage changes at all. We are letting GPU Boost 3.0 handle voltage, which seems to work out very well.

Temperatures hit a maximum of 62c with this overclock and 100% fan speed.
Definitely seems to be limited by power restraints...

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
how loud is 100% fan speed on the GTX 1080 Fabulists Edition ?

Normally at around 50% it gets very annoying, at 80% it becomes jet plane in my room and at 100% it is world war 3 starting.

For benching it might do, but gaming utterly impossible.

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

how loud is 100% fan speed on the GTX 1080 Fabulists Edition ?

Normally at around 50% it gets very annoying, at 80% it becomes jet plane in my room and at 100% it is world war 3 starting.

For benching it might do, but gaming utterly impossible.
From other reviews they said it is quieter at 80% than a 980ti at 50%. I would guess that because of the efficiency and lower heat production the fan simply has a much lower maximum RPM since they seem to be the same otherwise.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The PerfCap reason in my testing was split between voltage and power so power limit isn't the only thing hamstringing the OC.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

From other reviews they said it is quieter at 80% than a 980ti at 50%. I would guess that because of the efficiency and lower heat production the fan simply has a much lower maximum RPM since they seem to be the same otherwise.
that is interesting. 50% is still probably very loud. For most coolers I've had it felt like 37% was the point when I started noticing it and around 45% when it was too annoying to play without headphones

When I was younger I didn't care about the noise, but as I get older I've become more sensitive to it and I rather have higher temps than noise.

I am like a grumpy old man sitting by the window and throwing little rocks at kids who are too loud playing on the streets
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
8,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

that is interesting. 50% is still probably very loud. For most coolers I've had it felt like 37% was the point when I started noticing it and around 45% when it was too annoying to play without headphones

When I was younger I didn't care about the noise, but as I get older I've become more sensitive to it and I rather have higher temps than noise.

I am like a grumpy old man sitting by the window and throwing little rocks at kids who are too loud playing on the streets
biggrin.gif
I agree with you 100%. I also play at 1080p and don't really give a crap about overclocking any more to be honest. I used to like pushing my GPU to the absolute limit but now I just want it to be quiet and smooth in games. If I bought a 1080 it would just sit at stock most likely.

·
More Vcore
1,559 Posts
LINK to original source in case you guys want to read the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Really doubt the 8 pin is the "problem". Unless this card scales well with voltage I think this is gonna be it. That 2500mhz AIB thing sounds like bull to me.

Reminds me of this:
biggrin.gif

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Even with no memory overclock the power seems to scale 1:1 with core overclocking. This is one power hungry GPU.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

Even with no memory overclock the power seems to scale 1:1 with core overclocking. This is one power hungry GPU.
1:1 scaling is not much at all when pushing volts

·
Consumerism 101
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by The EX1 View Post

LINK to original source in case you guys want to read the whole thing.
Thanks. Forgot to link source in OP.

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

1:1 scaling is not much at all when pushing volts
There was 0 voltage change, just pure speed based overclocking.
Quote:
That is a 16% increase in clock speed while gaming. Keep in mind this is all with a 100% fan speed and Power Target at 120%. However, this is with NO voltage changes at all. We are letting GPU Boost 3.0 handle voltage, which seems to work out very well.
Which is why the 1:1 scaling is frightening.

Edit: Oh nvm I see what you mean. I was thinking additional overvolting on top of what GPU boost does already.

·
Overclocker
11,639 Posts
Call me spoiled from AMD and older Nvidia cards but I expect when I set the clock to 2100MHz to stay 2100MHz irrespective of load, temperatures and power. Clearly the newer cards have bottlenecks when it comes to performance and are forced to downclock. And those sudden drops/dips in clock/performance can be seen as stutter.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Custom PCBs with proper power delivery needs to arrive ASAP. This GPU is severely limited by poor power delivery and TDP constrains.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post

Custom PCBs with proper power delivery needs to arrive ASAP. This GPU is severely limited by poor power delivery and TDP constrains.
It is more likely the firmware limiting the power.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts