Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Still here...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
From the category "News you can use"

Popular browser extension "Stylish," used for customizing the appearance of webpages, was recently found to also be stealing all of your internet history. Software engineer Robert Heaton noticed the problem last week when he spotted a large number of requests going to api.userstyles.org. After decoding the data being sent out, he found that Stylish was exfiltrating all his browsing data.
Link

·
Amiga 500
3,662 Posts
Oh,so thaaat's why FF gave me that notice and I unistalled it..

..nowadays it pays being paranoid all the time,I guess..

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,859 Posts
Use Stylus instead. It's a fork that is actually maintained and comes without the extra "features" you don't need.

·
Enthusiast Gamer
3,829 Posts
The best extension is the one that turns random youtube videos into Rick Rolls partway through. My Co-Worker still hasn't figured it out. Does it steal his Internet browser history maybe but its not like Mozilla, Google and Microsoft don't already have it. In this day and age the only way to not have your information sold is to move to the mountains and give up electronics.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
..nowadays it pays being paranoid all the time,I guess..
You've only just clocked onto this? You're already compromised then.

·
Amiga 500
3,662 Posts
You've only just clocked onto this? You're already compromised then.
lol nah , I've been paranoid in these things for a long time , but it's peculiar how nowadays all these things came to surface

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,578 Posts
You're not paranoid until you start intentionally storing the wrong passwords in Firefox.

Never store any passwords with Firefox.

Use a 3rd Party app instead because all of the current browsers will steal just about anything off you, whilst using their application. Just the normal way of how they conduct 'business' these days.

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,756 Posts
Never store any passwords with Firefox.

Use a 3rd Party app instead because all of the current browsers will steal just about anything off you, whilst using their application. Just the normal way of how they conduct 'business' these days.

Firefox will not "steal" anything from you. The problem specific to Firefox is that the Password Manager is old and kind of insecure. They're rewriting it, but its not planned to be released for a while.

·
New001
2,668 Posts
You're not paranoid until you start intentionally storing the wrong passwords in Firefox.
Step 1: Install firefox
Step 2: Uncheck Remember logins and passwords for websites (in Options under "Forms & Passwords")

·
Administrator
64,324 Posts
Yeah, I still do not understand why people use Password remembering tools in browsers. It is a great way to compromise your security. Should you first line of defence fail, they now have easy login access to whatever you have saved login details for. I get why some non tech people do it, but those in the industry...well it shocks me even more when they use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts