Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
While many of those who have played around with the early version of Windows 7 have noted that it feels pretty zippy, especially for a pre-beta version, InfoWorld says early benchmarks show the software is just on par with its predecessor.

In an article on Monday, InfoWorld said that Windows 7 is a "virtual twin" of Vista when it comes to performance.

On the one hand, this could be seen as bad news, considering Microsofts efforts to position Windows 7 as better performing. At the same time, this is a pre-beta version. Early releases often lag in performance since optimizations tend to be among the later steps in operating system development.

For its part, Microsoft is encouraging folks to withhold judgment.

"Microsoft consistently encourages people to hold benchmark tests until software is finished and ready for broad release," Microsoft said in a statement to CNET News.

Ive been using Windows 7 for a couple of weeks on a loaner machine from Microsoft (a Lenovo X300). It does feel considerably faster than my work machine, but thats a several-year-old IBM ThinkPad T42. And, as a colleague points out, a new Windows image often feels fast, until you load all of your usual add-ons and third-party software on top of it.

I will say, the new Windows has been incredibly stable for an early build. I used it a bunch at PDC and WinHEC and am currently using it as my main machine. Most things I have tried are working, including the software I use every day, such as iTunes and several IM programs.

On the not-so-hot list, I havent gotten it to work with my Sprint wireless broadband card. I also havent been able to connect to CNETs VPN, meaning Ive been using Outlook Web Access as opposed to the real thing. But to me, the testament to Windows 7 is that I still want to use it, even though Outlook Web Access is way less convenient than Outlook itself.

Ill be interested to see if Microsoft continues in the right direction with its broad beta, which is slated to be released early next year, as well as whether it hits its internal goal of shipping Windows 7 in time for next years holiday shopping season.
Source

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Randall Kennedy is clearly biased against Windows. Other issues aside, the current assertion that Windows 7 is not providing all of the promised performance gains is flawed to begin with...there never were any promised performance gains. Windows 7 was supposed to "hold the line" on hardware requirements, nothing more. I've responsed as much to Randall. His perpetuating this untruths is yellow journalism in my opinion.

Of course, his response is just feigned surprise at all the Windows defenders out there. Never mind the fact that his attack-mode style of writing these days is what has drawn criticism. He may as well write "Windows 7 suxxorz"...why even pretend to have a professional viewpoint, it's clear what he's trying to say.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Quote:

"Microsoft consistently encourages people to hold benchmark tests until software is finished and ready for broad release," Microsoft said in a statement to CNET News.

Microsoft: It's not been fine tuned, give it a while
...time passes...
Microsoft: We're still making adjustments, any day now!
...time passes...
Microsoft: No, really. It'll be amazing, lots of stuff planned. We promise, just hold tight.
...more time...
Microsoft: Look, it's an OS, it's complicated. But look, it's pretty! Did you install the updates? You did? Well, we're gonna release some new ones soon that'll make her fly! Time frame? Well, there are lots of bugs, and we have some stuff we stol....er....improved from Google and Apple that we're putting in there first. It's coming, trust us.
...sun explodes....
Microsoft: It's not our fault, must be your cheap computer. Get a faster one and it'll run great! And did you see the new ads? I'm a PC!
...Jesus comes back...
Microsoft: Old news. We're working on a brand new OS, and it'll be the fastest ever.

And repeat.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
MS isn't the only software related company that causes hardware obsolescence. Apple is guilty as well...and I don't even have to mention certain killer app games that come around every now and then that crawls on anything less than mid-to-high range machines (Crysis for one).

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OpTicaL
View Post

Amazing, just by judging the pre-release they seem like they know the whole operating system.

Well I'm sure he's talking about the pre-release, then. A sort of a "thus far" review.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmaBum
View Post

Microsoft: The 3rd parties are dropping the ball, give it a while
...time passes...
Microsoft: Nvidia is still making adjustments, any day now!
...time passes...
Microsoft: No, really. Our OS is amazing, and the 3rd parties have lots of stuff planned, but they aren't doing any of it. We promise, just hold tight.
...more time...
Microsoft: Look, it's an OS, it's complicated. It's also pretty! Did you install the updates? You did? Well, we can only do so much on our own! Time frame? Well, there are lots of bugs, and we have some stuff we stole from Google and Apple that they stole from someone else and claimed as their own that we're putting in there first. 3rd party support is coming though, trust us...
...sun explodes....
Microsoft: It's not our fault, stop crying because your fossilized computer won't run a brand new OS. Get a faster one and it'll run great! And did you see the new Apple ads? They're stuffed full of BS!
...Jesus comes back...
Microsoft: Well, since Apples smear campaign seems to have worked effectively... we're working on a brand new OS, and maybe this time people will actually use it first before passing judgement!

And repeat.

Fixed for accuracy.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
Windows 7 alpha performs the same as Vista! Wow, Windows 7 sucks hardcore!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts