Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I've currently got W7 Ultimate Signature Edition x64 (OEM version with a pretty title) running on my signature system. I'm about to upgrade to an i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe v2, and 12gb of Corsair Domintaor 1600mhz ram. Will Windows deactivate, or have problems with the hardware change?

Thanks!

Weston
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weston View Post
Quick question. I've currently got W7 Ultimate Signature Edition x64 (OEM version with a pretty title) running on my signature system. I'm about to upgrade to an i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe v2, and 12gb of Corsair Domintaor 1600mhz ram. Will Windows deactivate, or have problems with the hardware change?

Thanks!

Weston
Maybe. I say do some backing up first, and then just make the upgrades and see how Windows reacts. It may simply tell you to reactivate Windows due to a "significant hardware change", and that's it. I mean, I kinda have my doubts that it will force you to format or anything; it should be a very smooth upgrade (it usually is).
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Weston

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,703 Posts
I'd format and reinstall Windows with a motherboard change, but that's just me.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Weston

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,943 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by losttsol
View Post

I'd format and reinstall Windows with a motherboard change, but that's just me.

Well yeah, me too.
I do it for a good clean feeling (no matter what).
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Weston

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks guys. I know on Vista I would have re-installed anyways, but I didn't know how W7 would react as I've never done such a big change on 7. Biggest change I've done on this system is going ATI-Nvidia, and that went pretty smooth, so I didn't know.

Thanks for your help guys, +rep to the both of ya


Weston
 

·
Not new to Overclock.net
Joined
·
77,943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weston View Post
Alright thanks guys. I know on Vista I would have re-installed anyways, but I didn't know how W7 would react as I've never done such a big change on 7. Biggest change I've done on this system is going ATI-Nvidia, and that went pretty smooth, so I didn't know.

Thanks for your help guys, +rep to the both of ya


Weston
Meh, it should be really smooth. At the extreme worst, you might have to call Microsoft for activation, try to use their automatic activation system, fail the automated phone activation and then have to actually talk to somebody. But even that's painless - unless their accent is so thick that you can't understand them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Well it depends, the only thing i think you may have issues with are maybe some registry errors but non the less i think the process should be very smooth, some old drivers may conflict also, since you are switching chip sets.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top