Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 422 Posts

·
AMD fan
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Source
http://www.hardware.fr/news/13640/amd-freesync-proposition-adoptee-par-vesa.html
Quote:
According to our source, we thank again the various discussions on this proposal took place in the month of February between relevant members of VESA and, good news, it has been adopted as planned. Since April 1, and it is not a fish, the list of requests SCR adopted a new mentions: Extend DP1.2a MSA Tmg settings Ignore Option AMD . VESA and / or AMD should no longer delay to officially announce arrival of the refresh frequency variable for the standard DisplayPort 1.2a. remains of course many questions about its support in practice since it will be optional.
The source is written in french and google translate doesn't do a good job but at least we can derive what this means.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Big news. You can badmouth AMD silicon all you want, but it's hard to deny that the open standards they support and advocate are good for everybody.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well its still optional, if it were mandatory I'd be happy but since it's not we gotta wait and see if major players pick it up.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Cue the haters claiming it's impossible to have variable refreshrate the way freesync works and that no panels nor cards supports it and yadda yadda yadda
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, this is great news.

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

Cue the haters claiming it's impossible to have variable refreshrate the way freesync works and that no panels nor cards supports it and yadda yadda yadda
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, this is great news.
You are confusing the statements made that were "Current hardware doesn't support it", with what you just said.

I wonder if the translation on that messed up and put DP 1.2 instead of 1.3. It would be interesting to see if it wad adopted on 1.2, although hardware would still need new firmware, in the least, to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

You are confusing the statements made that were "Current hardware doesn't support it", with what you just said.

I wonder if the translation on that messed up and put DP 1.2 instead of 1.3. It would be interesting to see if it wad adopted on 1.2, although hardware would still need new firmware, in the least, to take advantage of it.
I didn't actully read the article, was just trying to make a point
redface.gif

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

biggrin.gif
The word was never that FreeSync was impossible, but rather that it was impossible with current hardware. Nothing about that has changed. And it was AMD who said it would require new hardware, so why shouldn't we believe them?

Regardless, this is a good thing. Variable refresh is the future, and I for one don't care how we get it. I do get bothered when companies spread deliberate misinformation that does not stand up to scrutiny solely as a means to rain on the other guy's parade, as AMD did with their original FreeSync demo.

And, just so everyone is clear, updating the DP spec does not change existing hardware. You can't magically get a panel that has zero variable refresh capability to turn into one that does just by adjusting what signals you send over the DP cable. This has all been rather thoroughly investigated already, so let's please not rehash the same debunked arguments once more.

Changes to the DP spec to support variable refresh is a good thing. VESA adopting it is a good thing. But don't for a second think that this step, as important as it is, has any impact whatsoever on hardware. It will require hardware development on the part of display manufacturers, period.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I dropped out of the discussion pretty early because it turned to a bunch of people yelling at eachother.
redface.gif
The last I remember reading, was some guy going through some promising documents, and something about eDP.

You're right though, it won't happen on current hardware. I hope I don't start that discussion again...
tongue.gif

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
this is the exact tech 4k monitors need as tearing is more obvious and peoples fps will dip below 60 into the mid 40's from time to time

put this on a 4k monitor please
thumb.gif

·
Banned
12,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

And, just so everyone is clear, updating the DP spec does not change existing hardware. You can't magically get a panel that has zero variable refresh capability to turn into one that does just by adjusting what signals you send over the DP cable. This has all been rather thoroughly investigated already, so let's please not rehash the same debunked arguments once more.

Changes to the DP spec to support variable refresh is a good thing. VESA adopting it is a good thing. But don't for a second think that this step, as important as it is, has any impact whatsoever on hardware. It will require hardware development on the part of display manufacturers, period.
Yup.

You'll still need a new card and monitor. Any word on if the existing cable will work as well, or will that too have to be changed? I know there was some discussion about that (as well as the connectors used for DP1.3) in the old thread.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Yup.

You'll still need a new card and monitor. Any word on if the existing cable will work as well, or will that too have to be changed? I know there was some discussion about that (as well as the connectors used for DP1.3) in the old thread.
While I understand a new card and monitor are going to be needed to benefit, if for whatever reason newer versions of the r9 series or the 290 in particular supported DP 1.3 and I were to get a second card for Xfire, would the one I have now screw up FreeSync despite the newer card supporting it? I'm going to guess that both cards will need to support FreeSync or you'll have to revert to the one card with DP 1.3 if you want to see FreeSync, but it would still be a pretty big deal if I ever wanted to crossfire and could knowing I could get FreeSync out of it.

I just updated my graphics card and monitor, so I'm in no hurry whatsoever to try and get FreeSync, but it would be nice in the future to be able to get a little extra GPU power without having to get an entirely new card and so it's a bit more future proof.

·
You broke it!
14,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieGriffs View Post

While I understand a new card and monitor are going to be needed to benefit, if for whatever reason newer versions of the r9 series or the 290 in particular supported DP 1.3 and I were to get a second card for Xfire, would the one I have now screw up FreeSync despite the newer card supporting it? I'm going to guess that both cards will need to support FreeSync or you'll have to revert to the one card with DP 1.3 if you want to see FreeSync, but it would still be a pretty big deal if I ever wanted to crossfire and could knowing I could get FreeSync out of it.

I just updated my graphics card and monitor, so I'm in no hurry whatsoever to try and get FreeSync, but it would be nice in the future to be able to get a little extra GPU power without having to get an entirely new card and so it's a bit more future proof.
General rule of thumb is that the "older" or "less capable" hardware will be the determining factor. So in your above example you would need to get a second newer GPU that supports it to Crossfire, if you Crossfire a newer one that supports it with the one you have now, it wouldn't work.

Basically you replace what you have entirely, display and card.

·
Banned
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

General rule of thumb is that the "older" or "less capable" hardware will be the determining factor. So in your above example you would need to get a second newer GPU that supports it to Crossfire, if you Crossfire a newer one that supports it with the one you have now, it wouldn't work.

Basically you replace what you have entirely, display and card.
How are you so sure about that?

I think if the top card has the newer outputs it should work.

If the gpu cores are same on each card then crossfire will work. No question about that.

Multiple cards with different output configurations have been crossfired before.

·
OG AMD
8,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

The word was never that FreeSync was impossible, but rather that it was impossible with current hardware. Nothing about that has changed. And it was AMD who said it would require new hardware, so why shouldn't we believe them?

Regardless, this is a good thing. Variable refresh is the future, and I for one don't care how we get it. I do get bothered when companies spread deliberate misinformation that does not stand up to scrutiny solely as a means to rain on the other guy's parade, as AMD did with their original FreeSync demo.

Except the fact they have clearly stated there are already monitors with the necassary hardware in use. May need a firmware update,or manufacturers may not enable it. There is no real new tech needed on the monitor side,mainly the GPU side.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
While I applaud the Freesync effort, I do have some concerns regarding its performance. Gsync causes a small performance hit, even with an extra 200 dollars worth of external hardware taking some of the workload off of the GPU (this results in a loss of ~2 fps under Gsync). Even assuming current AMD cards are being built with the Freesync DP 1.2a protocol in anticipation of this ruling and a firmware update would easily enable VRR, the potential performance hit on the GPU could make this unfeasible with the current generation of cards.

1 - 20 of 422 Posts