Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to be using glass or chrome tubing for my water cooling build and my SR-2 ports on both top and bottom are bowed outwards and really wouldn't like the look having my tubing bending to accommodate the bowed out ports because it just doesn't look right. If I can't bend to ports, then I won't use this raditotr, the problem is it's not like I can just buy another radiator because it's impossible to find Hardware labs radiators right now anywhere and don't want any other brand.

My Hardware Labs 360 GTS doesn't have these problems and is perfect, I'm assuming it has to do with the end tanks being separated on the SR-2 while the GTS has a one piece end tank design. I'm not wanting another 360 GTS do to flow restriction and my distro-plate only supporting one DDC style pump. My case just wouldn't look right with a slim radiator on the bottom.

Is there any chance I can carefully bend the ports towards either other without ruining the radiator?

If so what is the best safest way to do it?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
I could be totally wrong and misguided but maybe a heat gun could help?

·
Registered
748 Posts
You can manipulate it a little bit with a long 1/4 bolt. Screw it in and bend it a little. Heat helps a bit while bending, but the solder can come loose if you make it too hot.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
i'd screw a long extension fitting in and bend it back straight, nice and slowly. I've done this many times on many types of radiators.

or just get over it.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'd screw a long extension fitting in and bend it back straight, nice and slowly. I've done this many times on many types of radiators.

or just get over it.
All of these ideas are great, I have a heat gun from my hobby airplane days (ultracoat) and use it for shrinking heat shrink on my MDPC sleeving, it's like a hair dryer on steroids.

Any technique for bending it strait?

I'm assuming heat wouldn't the damage the paint on the radiator?

Thanks guys!

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
I don't think the heat is going to be necessary. Would probably even make it too pliable.

Maybe warm it up just a little bit, then slowly push it into place. No, it won't mess up the paint, unless its more out of alignment than we can tell. Looks like a few degrees, max.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having a real problem, Ace Hardware is doesn't have anything close to the right size bolt.

They are saying this thread pitch is strange. Where do I get the correct size bolt that fits this thread?

·
Registered
417 Posts
The thread is 1/4" BSP.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If they are new I would return and get replacement, ports should be straight. HL are the highest quality rads and this should be no exception, but defects happens.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
you're overthinking it.

use an extension fitting. standard, watercooling tier 2 inch extension, screw in, bend back. move on with life.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
you're overthinking it.

use an extension fitting.
Even with extensions you will still see shift to one side or the other. If hes going for glass tubing then obviously he goes for aesthetic and quality:)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
you're overthinking it.

use an extension fitting. standard, watercooling tier 2 inch extension, screw in, bend back. move on with life.

I have no idea what a "watercooling tier 2 inch extension" is, you are basically talking a different language to me. I put together a water cooling computer 8 years ago for the first time (adult legos) and that is the extent of my knowledge about PC water cooling. If you could produce a picture of the part or a part # of what you are talking about I might have a better idea of what you're talking about.

Thanks for your help thus far, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If they are new I would return and get replacement, ports should be straight. HL are the highest quality rads and this should be no exception, but defects happens.
Easier said than done, there are "no replacements", no Hardware Lab radiators to buy online, sold out "everywhere". It's either make this work or broke.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Easier said than done, there are "no replacements", no Hardware Lab radiators to buy online, sold out "everywhere". It's either make this work or broke.
They might be gone now, but not forever, unless these particular rads has been discontinued and even then, HL has to have similar specs replacements if you within warranty period. I know If I was facing this I would rather wait until they are available and get the proper rads to make it right. Then again, If you on hurry and comes push to shove scupples making good suggestion :)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I bought the 1/4 BSP and it doesn't thread in all the way, it seems tapered, I need some suggestions and really want to make this work because I want a drain port on the side and I can't have a drain port with any other Hardware Labs radiator.

Attachments

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
they are? I just got 4 SR2s in the mail this week. Guess it happened after Monday.

OP -

https://www.performance-pcs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=extension g1 4

NewUser - idk if you've looked out the window recently, but you kinda gotta work with whach'ya got right now.

Good luck getting them to respond to an RMA right now too, specially on something so frivolous.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ok I bought the 1/4 BSP and it doesn't thread in all the way, it seems tapered, I need some suggestions and really want to make this work because I want a drain port on the side and I can't have a drain port with any other Hardware Labs radiator.
Yes it is tapered but if you notice the fittings that are used only use maybe 3 threads.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got everything straightened out, it was easier than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for all the assistance guys.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts