Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
src: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/grafikkarten/48208-weitere-anzeichen-einer-gtx-11-serie-ohne-rt-kerne.html

After the GeForce RTX 2060 has made its official start and the rumor mill has been cleaned up, the next cards are pointing. For a few days now, speculation has been made about a GeForce GTX 11 series that will do without the Turing-specific hardware features such as the RT Cores.
Identical performance to RTX 2080, and likely lacks RT cores. Bit late, but pricing will be interesting. Now let's see the 1180 Ti.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hopefully with more Vram also

·
mfw
8,628 Posts
Hopefully with more Vram also
Doubt it. It makes more sense for nVidia to release a 2080 without RT cores for a slightly lower price, probably to encourage the undecided to stick with the green company.

If they released a 1180ti with better raster performance than its bigger brother, the 2080ti, early adopters would be pretty mad.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,314 Posts
Hopefully these lack Tensor cores also so price can drop back down to the normal $500 price tag.

Will probably be $600/$650 to fit in between the 2070 and 2080

·
PC Evangelist
46,712 Posts
I do not think Nvidia will release it unless they are forced by AMD. They want to push RTX now. If you release a fast GTX card for less you are just delaying RTX adoption.

·
Registered
294 Posts
How can it be as fast as a 2080 when a 1080ti is already as fast as a 2080? It has to be significantly faster than a 1080ti or else who is this thing for? Is it for 1080 owners? If they wanted 1080ti performance they could have had it at $700 a long time ago.

·
WaterCooler
3,461 Posts
Seems unlikely to me considering the performance wouldn't be much better than the 10 series cards.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,786 Posts
Except for the pricey 2080Ti, AMD and Nvidia keep giving us the same performance from one gen to the next at heftier prices. What is going on? AMD Radeon VII is DOA and Nvidia GTX 11xx cards are copy paste and prices keep going through the roof. I guess I'll sit on my PC for another year and see what the next gen from AMD, Nvidia and hopefully Intel will bring. If Intel should want to prove themselves and win mind share then hopefully a three way battle will bring down prices if only in the mid range skews.

·
Laptop Gamer
978 Posts
1180ti with DP64 performance of a Titan RTX?

·
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━ ☞
6,520 Posts
If they released a 1180ti with better raster performance than its bigger brother, the 2080ti, early adopters would be pretty mad.
Based on their Pascal releases, I highly doubt Nvidia really cares about early adopters. Their "staggered" release strategy isn't anything new (TitanX >> 1080Ti, 1080 >> 1070Ti, crapton of 1060 variants, deceptive 1050 variants).

·
High Clocker
3,234 Posts
Every one knew there would be new Nvidia cards coming this year since turing is just a stop gap.
Hopefully pricing returns to normal tho. And performance wise

1170 = 1080
1180 = 1080ti
1180ti = RTX Titan.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
Would it really be that hard for them to just lower the price of the 10 series...? The only way this would be interesting would be if it gave better performance than a 1080Ti at the same price or less. Otherwise, it seems pointless at this point. Nvidia needs to just close their doors until they can hit 7nm.

·
Performance is the bible
7,046 Posts
What I feel will happen if this is true, is that nvidia will want to make 2 series of cards now instead of one.
GTX for general and to fight off AMD. No tensor/tuning cores.
RTX for those with more money to spend and a promise of better ray-trace performance.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
What I feel will happen if this is true, is that nvidia will want to make 2 series of cards now instead of one.
GTX for general and to fight off AMD. No tensor/tuning cores.
RTX for those with more money to spend and a promise of better ray-trace performance.

So will they be based on a complete separate chip die? A GT200 chip that has same no of CUDA cores but smaller due to lack of RT cores and/or TENSOR core.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'd repost there what I posted on Videocardz.

Folks. Have you imagined Linux might CALL RTX 2080 as GTX 1180? Aka Linux developers don't care about NVidia naming convention, they are naming them the standard way. GTX = NVidia. Cut first two digits and you have a number that you can pass into Kernel. Now imagine all these errors that can happen if there was not a consecutive number, or gosh someone would have to create a conversion function that would change 20 into 11. Half of Linux would have that function half don't and when cards arrive at number after 19, all hell breaks lose.

Imagine Linux treating RTX as xxxx 4F60 and trying to return results to AI that needs actually usable FP64 matrices and not useless FP16 matrices, thus failing spectacularly. Feeding card command that assumes drivers on GFX card, aka X1 NVidia CPU (on GPU) handing drivers. And trying to force NVidia card into actual usability, aka trying to use it as a card manufactured in times when NVidia had leadership that cared about users more than about his leather coat.

Until we see non Linux results. I'd keep this result just as a side effect of Linux benchmark. (It would be funny when NVidia would see drop in sales when people would wait for GTX 1180. Perhaps they would even make some to avoid losing market position.)

I can imagine NVidia making low end card without RT cores, but they would kill theirs effort by not forcing forces that have money to buy high end like RTX 2080 into RT cores.

·
Overclocker in training
12,904 Posts
Hi,
Could just rename all the extra inventory 1080's they have too :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts