Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Still kinda lost
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

its an ultra wide 27gl850 with better contrast and 160hz.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
I was looking at this to replace my OG x34. Looked very promising until they mentioned the contrast ratio of 919 compared to the x34's 1193.

·
Still kinda lost
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at this to replace my OG x34. Looked very promising until they mentioned the contrast ratio of 919 compared to the x34's 1193.
We are stuck in limbo for sometime its either performance or contrast, Samsung seems to find a good balance with those VA but they need to be curved.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I mean, you're already talking about terrible contrast. Both are so bad you probably won't notice the difference.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
I mean, you're already talking about terrible contrast. Both are so bad you probably won't notice the difference.
The x34 has great contrast for an ips. Sub-1000 starts getting into tn territory. I think I'd notice the difference.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The x34 has great contrast for an ips. Sub-1000 starts getting into tn territory. I think I'd notice the difference.
"great contrast for an IPS" is the equivalent of saying "fast for an economy car". You're already in the realm of awful in absolute terms.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
We are stuck in limbo for sometime its either performance or contrast, Samsung seems to find a good balance with those VA but they need to be curved.
Yeah looking around this monitor seems like the best option for me. Main wants for an upgrade are, ips/144hz/21:9/34"/Freesync and Gsync. Considering ordering one and doing a side-by-side with my x34 to see which I like the most.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
I'm really close to pressing the buy button on this monitor. Does anyone have reasonable objections? Compared to my x34 the only downsides I can see is the lower contrast. The lack of real hdr kind of sucks but I haven't been overly impressed with hdr when gaming on my oled so I think I can live without it. Anything else I should consider? Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Any idea how's the black level? I play a lot of single player survival horror games.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
Any idea how's the black level? I play a lot of single player survival horror games.
Contrast is below average for an ips which isn't great considering ips already have low contrast. Should be better then a tn though. Might be better off looking into a va panel.

What's holding my hand on buying the monitor is its limited range of height adjustment. Lowest position is 4.25" off the desk and I use my x34 2" off the desk. I tested 4.25" off the desk and that put my eyes in the middle of the screen.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Monitors have been slacking. I remember thinking I should wait on buying a CF791 thinking all the OLEDs would be released imminently. Almost 4 years later where they at? My CF791 will die before OLEDs become widely available in 4K and ultrawide.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
Monitors have been slacking. I remember thinking I should wait on buying a CF791 thinking all the OLEDs would be released imminently. Almost 4 years later where they at? My CF791 will die before OLEDs become widely available in 4K and ultrawide.
I don't think they are happening. Burn in would be an rma nightmare. There are also other things that could be an issue such as a tendency to crush detail in dark scenes and a lower subpixel count compared to lcd meaning they're less sharp. I have a 55" LG B9 in here that I have my consoles hooked up to. It's a good looking screen but from using it I realized I plan on sticking with ips as a monitor.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
Ordered the LG 34gn850-b along with an Ergotron - LX monitor arm. Monitor will be here Friday and the arm comes in Monday. Guess it's time to retire the ol'x34.

*Pours out a swig of beer for the x34

·
Still kinda lost
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered the LG 34gn850-b along with an Ergotron - LX monitor arm. Monitor will be here Friday and the arm comes in Monday. Guess it's time to retire the ol'x34.

*Pours out a swig of beer for the x34
Keep us updated on how it is.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
Keep us updated on how it is.
Will do. From everything I've seen it should be an all around improvement outside of the contrast and worse stand which I'll be replacing with an arm. Get to see if I'm wow'ed by 5 years worth of uw ips improvements. :D

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
I received my monitor Friday but am still waiting for my Ergotron LX mount to come in. Was supposed to come in today but Amazon hasn't shipped it yet. I don't plan on unboxing the monitor until I have the arm in and set up.

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
And yeah, the monitor is still sitting in the ol'foyer waiting on that arm.

Least the cats haven't used it as a scratching post. :)

Attachments

·
Still kinda lost
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And yeah, the monitor is still sitting in the ol'foyer waiting on that arm.

Least the cats haven't used it as a scratching post. :)
amazing fortitude hahaha

·
To The Game
7,620 Posts
amazing fortitude hahaha
I've been tempted to pull it out but I want to go one and done on it.

I'm still debating if I'm going to install the monitor tonight or over the weekend. Ready to check it out but I want to install the arm and all correctly. If I install it tonight I'll feel rushed and annoyed since I'm tired from working. Also, always the chance something goes wrong and I'm stuck problem solving which I'm not in the mood for.

Regardless, I'll have it setup to hit up some co-op with my friends over the weekend.

·
Registered
101 Posts
is there anything similar to this experience without the price premium? or will those other panels be inferior all around

1 - 20 of 28 Posts